Girl Meets Wish

Verity's POV

I'm sitting in the history classroom and for once I don't even have a general idea of what is going on. Seriously, it's as if a switch on my concentration was turned off.

Not like it matters. I am never called on anyways.

Missy's ballet recital will be tomorrow and that's all I've been thinking about lately. 

Missy is under a lot of pressure, because she has been preparing for it for so long, putting in all of her efforts. 

I've been trying to be as supportive as I can be, too. I've been doing as many performances as I possibly could to have enough money for both of us so that I don't give Missy a reason to worry. I've been helping to prepare Missy's dress for her performance, geetting up even erlier than I usually do. I try to be there whenever she needs me, being there for her late and early practices, waiting for her to pick her up, doing all the cooking and house chores by myself, so that Missy can focus on her dance. 

I have spent countles hours helping her learn the choreography, going with her to her dance studio to help her, drawing diagrams of all the elements and helping her memorize every movement. 

That's what I'm doing even know sketching pictures of the steps for about millionth time and going over it with Missy, not even pretending to be paying attention to the class.

Maybe I'm straining myself more than I should, but Missy doesn't have anyone but me and I try to make her feel better about it, because she would do the same for me. 

I know what this opportunity means to Missy, she loves dance and this is a big chance for her to be noticed by someone and she needs all the support from her surroundings she can get. But because our surroundings choose to ignore her, as always, it's just me and I'm doing my best trying to be a good sister.

I snap out of my bubble when Missy nudges me slightly. Apparently we are supposed to write a short letter to our future self about what we wish for. Okay, I have no idea what they are talking about today, but this is just plain stupid. As if the world was trying to rub in my face that I'm unable to wish for anything. 

Even if I did wish for something, there's no way I would put it down on paper. I would never put my feelings into any possibly accessible form.

I start writing anyway:

Okay, we are supposed to write a short letter about what we wish for. For me, the answer for that is simple: nothing. But if I were to pretend for a moment that I still have wishes, I would wish for a better life for my sister. She deserves it. Besides, I wouldn't dare even pretend to wish for anything for myself. 
                                                                                                                           V. A. B.

Now, apparently the main group is going to read their short letters out loud. Usually I would be listening on this one, but I'm busy and this is a sensitive topic for me. Besides, I don't think I could find out anything I didn't already know. 

Still, I manage to overhear a bit of what Lucas is reading. "I wish to understand things better. To always know what's going on. Life would be so much easier if I could see and hear and perceive more than others."

Oh, trust me, you do not want that. You think it would make things easier, but seriously, it is not a good feeling to know about things before they even happen or are said out loud and not ever be shocked. It just makes everything more complicated.

Why doesn't he get it? Didn't he try to think about what he was writing on that paper?

After the class is over, I crumple the piece of paper and throw it towards the bin, not wanting to ever see or touch that thing again.

Lucas' POV

We had this interesting assignment. We had to write what we wish for, read it out loud, then keep it for our future selves. I enjoyed it. 

I wrote down the first thing that came to my mind, something I have dreamed of for a long time- to be able to see what other people normally don't. That would be great, always being one step ahead, when nothing can shock you because you already saw it coming. 

Just after I finish reading it out loud, the bell signalling the beginning of our lunch break goes off. My friends hurry out of the classroom and I'm about to follow them, but first I fold the piece of writing neatly and tuck it safely in my bag along with the rest of my things. I hope it comes true and one day I'll read it again, remembering the day I wrote it, when it seemed so unrealistic.

I'm about to walk through the door, but something catches my eye. There's a crumpled up piece of paper on the ground close to the bin. I guess someone missed while aiming there. I pick it up to throw it to the trash, but then I notice a delicate handwriting that fills the paper.

I stare at it for a few seconds before my curiosity kicks in and I straighten it out and start to read:

Okay, we are supposed to write a short letter about what we wish for. For me, the answer for that is simple: nothing. But if I were to pretend for a moment, that I still have wishes, I would wish a  better life for my sister. She deserves it. Besides, I wouldn't dare even pretend to wish for anything for myself. 

                                                                                                             V. A. B.

I don't know who wrote it. Let's be fair, I actually don't know most of the class besides my friends and a bunch of other people. 

But when I think about what is written there, that someone could think this way in the first place, I feel this strange pang of pain inside.

Suddenly, I lose all my appetite.

Next day

Ballet recital

Missy's POV

It will be my turn to go up soon. I am so nervous. I have been waiting and preparing for this for a long time and I really don't want to mess up.

Verity told me that she believes in me, that I will do well. I'm not sure she is right, but I sure hope so. After all, this moment is as much a result of Verity's efforts as my own.

I'm not going to pretend I don't see everything Verity has done to make sure I am well prepared for today. She is supporting me as much as she can.

From behind the curtain, I see her sitting in the front row. No one else is here for me. Of course I wish I had someone else there too, to have friends to come see me dance, other family members to be proud of me.

But my twin sister is enough. I know that no matter what happens, even if the whole world stopped spinning, Verity would never leave me. 

My name is called up and when I step out on the stage, suddenly all my nervosity fades away and I feel as if my body was light as a feather.

(A/N: I do not own this video, I have never danced ballet.)

After I'm finished, the audience cheers for me, but the one I hear the loudest is my twin sister from her place in the front row. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without her.