Chapter Eight

"I'm busy," I call out, sinking so low that only my eyes hover over the rim of the tub.

The door creaks open anyway, heavy boots clunk against the stone flooring when the person steps inside. "Princess Hope, I was told you had awakened." Chills race down my spine when Queen Mac enters the room. She shuts the door with a concerned frown. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes." I hurriedly look around for anything to cover myself with. Only a cake of soap and washcloth rests on the stool beside the tub. My cloak draped across the chair along with my underclothes at the table across the room.

"That's good." Queen Mac walks further into the room. Her eyes sparkle, " You gave me quite a scare."

I sink deeper, my nose barely touching the water. "I'm sorry, Queen Mac." Propriety and niceties keep me from telling her to not come closer. When she comes to stand a few feet away, my heart lurches in my chest. She's going to see me! "Could you stay over there please?"

She lifts a brow but otherwise stops in her tracks. "Why?"

"Because I'm naked." I flinch from my rude tone. Omegas aren't supposed to speak that way to Alphas. In the Southern Kingdom I can speak that way because I'm the Royal Princess, but here in the North, I'm nothing.

Queen Mac's eyes flash silver, a growl rising within her chest. Of course, leave it to me to piss off an Alpha. While naked.

"I'm sorry," Baring my neck in a sign of submission, my body trembles even though the water is still hot.

The growling stops, and I can hear Queen Mac breathing in and out, most likely trying to control her anger with me. "It's fine Princess Hope," Another few steps and a hand pats my head.

Taking that as my queue to unfold myself from my submissive pose, I lift my gaze to stare at Queen Mac's shoes.

She sighs heavily, still breathing in deeply. "You mind if I sit?" Queen Mac gestures to the stool.

Cheeks flushed from the heat of the water and this entire moment, I stare intently at the rim of the tub. "Queen Mac, it's inappropriate for you to be in here."

The two of us remain quiet after my words. Then, "We're both women. Nothing to be shy about."

I nod my head, too tense to speak. The only other females to ever see me naked are my mom and Everest. An unmated Omega shouldn't be alone with an unmated Alpha like this. It's strictly forbidden in the Southern Kingdom.

She picks up the cake of soap and washcloth, handing them to me. "Want me to wash your back?"

Eyes the size of saucers I shake my head furiously, "No. I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself." I snatch the offered items and turn around so that my back is to the Northern Queen.

She chuckles behind me. "Daniel said you became sick after you arrived."

I scrub at my skin, hiding my most sacred parts from view. "Yes. I think the long travel made me sick."

Queen Mac hums in answer. "Your scent still smells a bit..." She trails off in thought. "Sour."

Obviously, it's sour because you are here while I'm in the bath! Internally screaming at her, I violently scrub at my legs. "Unfortunately, I forgot to bring proper toiletries." I ignore the bitterness in my tone. I'm a Princess who has lived a life of luxury, of course, I would be upset over not having actual shampoo and body wash.

"You're upset." She states, blue eyes sad.

I shrug my shoulders, "It hasn't been a good first day here."