Chapter 6 > Better

It's been three months since I found out that dad had cancer. I was truly ruined that day. I thought my life was over. Since then things have actually gotten better. I've been going to physical therapy and my prosthetic is working better then ever. Dad's still going to chemo but  he's feeling great and is living at home with us. I am truly blessed that I have someone so strong and brave to raise me even if there is a werewolf by his side. Life is looking up. I had hit rock bottom but now feel like I am rocketing towards the sky and nothing can bring me down. I deserve it, after everything I've been through. I mean, wining Gold at the olympics at the age of 16 while using a prosthetic is a pretty big deal. Right? Also the fact that halfway into one of my sessions I shattered my hip and had to get hip pinning surgery. Who would of thought that little old Lola Stilinski-Hale would go through so much after barely getting her license. Now I just hope that life can go on and my family and I can take a well deserved break. 

Signed,

Lola 

Knock Knock. "Come in," I yelled as I shut my journal to turn towards the door where dad was peaking his head in. " Hey, Lola. I'm going in for treatment. Since I've been out of the hospital they want me to come in to do some routine checkups," he said walking over to my desk. I slowly his my journal behind my back. "I'm going to need you to watch Luna and Luca while I'm gone because Papa's taking me," he eyes my up and down and walks behind me, snatching the book out of my hands. " Hey, I'll watch the gremlins but you don't need to look at that," I say, standing up to try and take it from his hands. He moves away and opens it. " You haven't written in this since you were like 5, Lo."  I looked at hime moving towards the windowsill where he had perched himself up to discover all my secrets. " Well 5 is when I kind of excelled and became my own person so," I say as I sit down next to him leaning my head on his shoulder as he flipped through the memories. " Im going to have to get a new one soon." He looks at me.  "You've been writing a lot?," he asks. "Yea, after everything that happened it was my way of letting it out without, you know, breaking hips." He laughs. " Ok Lola. You've always been a special one."

He closes the book and hand it to me, kissing me on the forehead. " I'm going to head out. take care of the munchkins for me." I followed him out the door and as he was heading downstairs I yelled, " I won't feed them after midnight. Wouldn't want them to multiply."  All he did was blow me a kiss as he walked out the door with Papa and I headed to see the little devils. " Hey guys, get dressed I have a surprise." 

*time skip* 

"Thanks for taking us to Mackies," Luna said as she finished eating her last nugget, while walking to the car. " No worries dear sister, everyone loves McDonald's," I said flashing that iconic Stilinski smirk. "What do you have planned Lola," Luca asked. " Why do you always assume that when I do something nice for you it means I want something in return." They both looked at me and did their weird twin thing. " Because you do the most and your love comes with a price, always." Hearing them talk at the same time always creeped me out. It was worse when they were yelling. " Fine. Get up. We are going to visit Dad and you guys are going to sing to him." I said as we got settled in the car. "Like old times?" Luna asked. "Yea, like old times."

As we walked into the hospital, I immediately spotted the receptionist, Aunt Melissa, still working and living happily, a long ways away from retirement. " Hey Aunt Melissa, we're  just here to see dad, is he still in the same room,"I asked. " You kids go right on ahead," she said getting right back into her work. 

When we got to Dad's room he was very surprised to see us. "Hey guys, what are you doing here?" he asked while sitting up in his bed. "We have a little surprise for you. Go on," I said as i motioned the twins towards Dad and I went to stand next to Papa. 

Turn your face towards the sun
Let the shadows fall behind you
Don't look back, just carry on
And the shadows will never find you

As the kids began to sing Dad looks at me and smiles. " This is so beautiful," he mouths and tears begin to run down his face as he holds the twins' hands. It true, no matter how gremlin like they were to me the twins were always angelic when it came to singing, especially because they were typically quiet otherwise. 

Lost my faith and trust
You and I know gold don't turn to rust
I still swear that we can reign
Like the kings and queens of better yesterdays
Don't you know I've been burned
I've been burned I've been burned
You've seen me lose control
It's not worth it's not worth it's not worth
My soul

Papa hooked his hand around my shoulder and hugged me close. " You did good kid." 

Where you gonna go where you gonna go where you gonna run to
When you get to the edge of the night
Its time you face the sky

" I never understood how they could do this. Hitting high notes so gracefully in a hospital room of all places," he laughs at that, kissing me on the head as he walks us over to the bed, so we can join in. 

Turn your face towards the sun
Let the shadows fall behind you
Don't look back, just carry on
And the shadows will never find you

I take hold of my dad's hand, and he squeezes mine reassuringly. A tear rolls down my cheek.

"Happy last day of chemo, daddy" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am finally back. New Year New Me? Its been a while since I've updated this. I took some time to really work on myself and I finally worked up the nerve to write something. I can't promise that the updates will be consistent but your supportive comments and ideas really help me. Also, sorry if I got any of the cancer stuff wrong. I'm trying my best with being as accurate as possible but this is fiction and some things are going to differ from real life. I hope you enjoyed this heart felt chapter. Thank you for being so patient with me. 

Peace

-Hale