Poofless- New Year's Day

Start from the beginning

"Come watch the fireworks Preston!" He called, still dragging me out on the grass. He sat down and patted the ground beside him, letting me settle down before he leaned forwards and started pointing to the fireworks.

His face was lit up like a little child, he was intrigued and curious and he was smiling brightly. Every time a firework lit up the sky he leaned even further forward, just wanting to get closer despite the fact they were being launched miles away.

I, on the other hand, seemed to flinch every time the sound of another explosion reached my ears. I hated it but I put up with it for Rob's sake, I didn't want to ruin his night for him.

Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
Let's kiss the past away
Like New Year's Day
Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
It's time to celebrate
Like New Year's Day

I wasn't watching the fireworks. I was more interested in watching Rob, the way that he lit up every time the sky lit up, the way he jumped when the bangs went off, the way he was just so beautiful in the moonlight.

He was so pretty and I had to admit that I was a little bit jealous because he had these unfairly pretty hazel eyes and that just seemed to stare into my soul when he looked at me. He was just so cute and beautiful and... uhhhhh.

I sighed to myself, burying my head in my arms which were resting on top of my knees. Rob didn't seem to hear me.

Morning breaks, take my hand
Wide awake with arms wide open
Catch your breath, walk this way
No regrets on New Year's Day
Morning breaks, take my hand (kings of the world, top of the nation)
Wide awake with arms wide open (it's a celebration of the moments to come)
Catch your breath, walk this way (city's on fire, holding up lighters)
No regrets on New Year's Day (raising them higher, we've only begun)

I couldn't help but continue to stare at him, glancing away a few times when he looked around at my curiously. As the fireworks ended he reached out and took my hand, looking me right in the eyes.

"Are you okay Preston? You look worried?" I shrugged and tugged my hand away, despite the fact my heart soared when he took it and my face went bright red.

"I'm okay Rob." I flinched as one of the last fireworks went off. Rob sighed.

"Preston you should have told me. I know you weren't watching the fireworks, I know you hate them. You could have just gone inside." I shook my head.

"Didn't want to ruin your night." I mumbled, rubbing my forehead shamefully. I just wanted to fall into a hole and die or go inside and sleep, I was fine with either one.

We could be kings of the world
On top of the nation
It's a celebration of the moments to come
The city's on fire
We're holding up lighters
Raising them higher and we've only begun

"Preston.... it's your choice. If you don't want to be out here you don't have too." He took my hand again and pulled me to my feet, pulling me into a huge and comforting hug, resting his chin on my shoulder and letting me bury my head in his chest. "Let's go inside okay?"

He pulled on my hand and took me inside, gently tugging me up the stairs and into our room. There was only one bedroom so we shared our room and our bed, we shared pretty much everything if I thought about it, we shared clothes and food too.

"Are you sure you okay Preston?" I shrugged. I had already ruined his day, might as well ruin it even further.

"I'm just tired Rob." He sighed.

"No you're not!!! You don't have to keep lying to me Preston, I want to help you!" He hugged me tightly, crawling up onto the bed with me. I sighed.

"I'm just.... numb. I don't know how to describe it but it's like I'm not feeling anything at all." I mumbled, burying my head in my knees.

Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
Let's kiss the past away
Like New Year's Day
Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
It's time to celebrate
Like New Year's Day

"How long has this been going on Pressy?" Rob said softly, suddenly quiet and scared sounding.

"Dunno." I said, my voice muffled by my knees. "A while."

He didn't say anymore, he just hugged me tightly and moved himself, along with me, so we were lying down in a more comfortable position. He wrapped his arms around my waist and squeezed me gently, pulling my head into his shoulder.

There were tears falling down my cheeks, my emotions flooding over after far too long keeping them hidden. I desperately tried to hide the sobs but Rob tilted my chin back, getting me to look him in the eyes.

"It's okay to cry Preston, it's okay."

Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
Let's kiss the past away
Like New Year's Day
Take me all the way
Hear me when I say
It's time to celebrate
Like New Year's Day

He rocked me back and forth, wiping the tears away with his thumb when they continued to fall down my cheeks. My chest heaved with sobs but I couldn't help it. Everything had just built up inside and now it was overflowing I couldn't stop it.

"Is that better now?" He asked softly when the tears stopped flowing and I was mostly calm. I nodded, rubbing my eyes. "You can always come to me you know, I'm always going to be here."

"Thanks Rob." I whispered, a little smile appearing on my lips.

"Do you know what I think'll make you feel better?" He asked, smirking a little and tipping my head back with one finger under my chin. I raised one eyebrow.

"What?" I asked, my voice cracking a little because of how much I had been crying.

Without saying anything he leaned in and captured my lips in a soft kiss that just made me melt into him. His lips were soft and a little chapped and when he pulled away I kept my eyes closed for a few seconds, staying inside my own little world for a while. Rob's hand gently caressed my cheek.

"Is that better?" He whispered. "To get the feelings off your chest?"

I took in a deep breath and realised that I felt free. To know that he knew of my feelings but also reciprocated them was the greatest relief.

"Yeah. It's amazing." He leaned in and kissed me again, his arms around my waist, pulling me in close.

"Good." He whispered. "Happy New Year Preston."

"Happy New Year Rob." I whispered back. "Thank you."