Chapter 28

The next day, I wake up in a horrible mood.

Last night after I got home from my ride with Taylor, I found out that Mom took my laptop and my phone, not wanting me to have any contact with Colton. Thats a tad bit over the line, don't you think?

I mean, I know I was in the wrong in her eyes. I understand that, really I do.

She should at least consider the circumstances I was under- Troy has gone completely bonkers, my nightmares are getting worse, and I was home alone aside from Colton. If she were in my position, she would have done the exact same thing.

Sometimes I think that they will never, ever take anything that happens to me serioulsy because Taylor had it worse. And I know that- I know Taylor has had a life worse than I can imagine. But that doesn't mean that nothing bad can happen to me.

I don't know. I feel like I'll always live in her shadow. I mean, its better being in her shadow than in the spotlight, because in order to be in the spotlight something bad has to happen to me, and thats not what I want.

Just thinking these thoughts makes me feel like an awful person. This is not some stupid competition about being in the spotlight. We aren't competing over who has it worse- and if we were, she'd win, no contest.

'Shut up,' a voice in my head screams. 'You're being a total brat!'

I groan out loud, and glance out my bedroom window. I see Colton rolling a wheelbarrow out of the barn and towards the compost pile. His shirt clings to his body, molding perfectly with all his contours.

Yum.

But of course, Mom has grounded me from going outside while he's here.I decide to ignore that fact, and pull on a pair of shorts and a light blue tank top, along with a pair of brown cowboy boots. I tie my hair back in pigtail braids, before slipping out of my room.

I quietly tiptoe down the stairs, not wanting to alert Mom to my location. Luckily, she's not downstairs.

She must be upstairs with Taylor, who isn't feeling good again. I think she probably needs to go to the doctor- she keeps getting really nauseous with horrible cramps, sometimes with a fever. I think she has severe PMS or something, but she denies it.

I quietly sneak out the front door, closing it lightly. Figuring Colton is probably still mucking stalls, I make my way over to the barn and start scanning the stalls. I spot him in Whisper's stall, and sneak up quietly behind him.

"Guess who?" I chime, covering his eyes with my hands.

"Ariel," he laughs, turning around. "Aren't you forbidden to see me or something?"

"Yeah, but the dragon wasn't guarding the exit, so I snuck out," I chuckle.

"Are Carter and Dad out here?"

"No, they ran up to the feed store. You're fine," he replies. "But Ariel, I don't want to get you in trouble."

"You won't- I just wanted to come out and say hey. I'll go back inside in a few minutes and Mom will never know," I say, shrugging it off. I press my lips to his gently.

After I pull away, I walk over to Flame's stall."Hey girl," I softly greet, reaching up and scratching her cheek.

She reaches her head out of the stall and nudges my shoulder playfully, pressing me backwards. "Hey," I mockingly scold.

"She's got a fiery temper," Colton teases.

"Yeah," I laugh. "That's why her name is Flame- duh."

"Oh really now?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Have I ever lied to you," I chuckle. His face turns thoughtful for a moment. "Don't answer that."

"Colton- I never really got to thank you for the other night," I mutter, offering a weak smile. "I'm so glad you were there. I don't know what I'd do without you."

He smiles, genuinely, and pulls me into his arms. "I don't know what I'd do without you, either."

"Your life would be a lot less interesting," I murmur.

"You've got that right," he replies, placing a kiss on the crown of my hair. "Now you should go inside before you get in more trouble. I don't want you to be grounded for any longer."

"Fine, I don't know when I'll be able to sneak out and see you again so-" I wrap my arms around his neck and pull his face down towards mine, "-I'll talk to you later."

I pull away from him without kissing him, and turn on my heals.

"You're such a tease," he jokes. I turn and blow him a kiss over my shoulder.

"But you love me," I laugh.

"That I do," he replies. "That I do."

I bound off towards the house, in an infinitely better mood than I was before- that is, until I enter the house.

"And where exactly where you?" my mother asks, her tone accusing.

"I wanted to see my horse," I shrug nonchalantly.

"And your boyfriend?"

"Well, him, too," I chuckle.

"This isn't funny Ariel!" Mom exclaims. "You aren't taking me seriously!"

"Mom, I'm almost eighteen! When Taylor was my age-"

"We aren't talking about Taylor! We're talking about you," she snaps. "And for the record, although it's irrelevant, yes Taylor and Carter lived together when they were your age, but they never slept in the same bed. You and Colton crossed the line whether you want to admit it or not, and you have to face the consequences!"

"It was completely innocent, Mom," I huff, willing her to believe me. "Why won't you just listen to me for once!"

"When you have kids, you'll understand," she sighs.

I blink a few times, anger brewing up inside me. "You know, Mom, I love you because we're family, but sometimes I hate you," I snap.

I know the moment I say it I'm in the wrong, but for some reason I can't open my mouth to take it back. Instead, almost against my own will, I turn on my heels and run up to my room.

The moment I open the door, something feels wrong.

The light is off, and I could have sworn I left it on.

I glance to my window and notice it's open- I know I didn't open it.

Something's wrong here- something's very wrong.

My stomach drops once I hear the door close quietly behind me.

I turn to make a run for it, but a hand covers my mouth, and I feel a cold metal press against my temple.

Please say that's not a-

"Make a sound and I'll shoot," a sickeningly familiar voice gruffly threatens. I don't have to look to see who it is.

Troy

A/N

dun Dun DUN!!!!!!!!

I know how much you guys love cliffhangers (note sarcasm)

If you can't tell, I decided not to go with the normal happy teenage ending- but when do I ever go with the normal happy teenage ending?

Next chapter, stuff is gonna go down.

A lot of stuff.

So much stuff I can't even express to you.

I love you guys!

Gonna go eat dinner now because I'm starving!

Goodnight My Lovelies!