Chapter 1

"Ariel, are you almost finished?" Mom calls just as I pop the cherry pie I've been working on into the oven.

"Yep- I just have to let it cook," I reply, smiling to myself. "Is it okay if I go on a ride?"

"What about the pie?" she questions, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, I was thinking you could take it out when it's done," I slowly state.

"Your sister will be here any minute now- can't you wait just a little while longer?" she requests. I sigh heavily, but nod.

"I suppose I can wait."

I slip out the front door and into the barn. Dad and Colton, our barn hand, are making up two stalls.

"Are we getting new horses," I question, causing them both to jump.

"No- your sister and Carter are bringing their horses," Dad answers, brushing the dirt from his hands onto the back of his jeans. "And I think we're done here."

He smiles at me, before he leaves the barn and heads back towards the house, leaving Colton and I standing there alone.

I inconspicuously look him up and down. His light brown hair flops haphazardly around his face. He looks tired, like he hasn't been sleeping well.
I frown at the thought.

Things have been weird between us lately. We were really close until I started dating Troy about a month ago. He started distancing himself from me, and now we rarely talk. I really miss him- he's my best friend.

Or at least he was.

"So- any plans for the summer?" I awkwardly ask, shuffling my feet back and forth.

"The usual," he chuckles, glancing over at his horse's stall.

"Right," I quietly reply, glancing at the floor. "So how is Whisper doing?"

Whisper is his dapple grey quarter horse gelding. His show name is Whisper in the Wind, but that's too much of a mouthful to say. He boards Whisper here I'm exchange for barn work- hence, his job as barn hand.

"Great- I actually signed up for a show with him," he answers, smiling wryly at the mention of Whisper.

"What discipline?"

"Barrel racing," he answers.

I nod, a warm smile coming across my face. God, I miss talking with him. I debate whether or not to bring up the awkward cloud that's been floating around us for the past month.

I decide against it- why ruin the moment.

I hear wheels crunch on our gravelly driveway, and smile to myself.

"Taylor's here," I whisper excitedly, turnings on my heels to go greet her.

"Wait for me," Colton calls, and I slow to wait. Once he's at my side, I start to walk again.

Once she's in my line of sight, I take off towards their truck, my feet pounding the gravel.

I see Taylor climb out first. And, like the freaking goddess she is, she looks amazing.

She's wearing a white cotton maxi dress with a brown, braided suede belt, paired with cowboy boots and a denim vest. Her hair flows in beach waves down her back.

As I said- she's a goddess.

"Taylor," I squeal, jumping up and wrapping my arms around her.

"Ariel," she chimes, hugging me tightly, before holding me out at arms length. "You look taller."

"I am," I chuckle. "By about two inches."

"God, it's been forever," she sighs thoughtfully. "Almost a year."

"Too long," I reply.

"I believe you're forgetting someone" Carter chuckles. I turn to him and grin, before he wraps me in a bear hug.

"Of course not," I laugh. "How could I forget my sisters smelly boyfriend."

I crinkle my nose in false disgust, before smiling brightly at him.

Carter and I have a sort of brother-sister bond. I don't know what I'd do if they ever broke up- though I honestly can't see that happening.

Someone awkwardly coughs behind us, causing me to suddenly remember Colton's presence.

"Colton" Taylor exclaims, pulling him into a hug.

"Hey Taylor," he chuckles, smiling. "Do you need help unloading your horses?"

"Oh, that would be great," Taylor gushes. "Carter, why don't you give him a hand?"

"No problem," Carter replies, giving my sister a love struck look that almost makes me gag.

"You are so whipped," I chime in a singsong voice as he passes me.

He gives me an amused glare, before helping Colton to unload Ezhno and Chester from the two-horse trailer.

"Come on," I urge, taking Taylor's hand. "Mom and Dad are so excited to see you!"

An unfamiliar look crosses her features- a look she gets occasionally when I mention Mom or Dad. I sometimes think she still can't quite believe that they are alive.

I wouldn't be surprised. She went so long thinking they were dead.

I push that out of my mind as I eagerly lead her through the front door.

"Mom! Dad! She's here!" I call.

Footsteps sound throughout the house as they hurry down the stairs to see her.

They both wrap her in hugs, and I smile at the scene before me.

That is, until I notice the smell of my cherry pie wafting through the air.

I rush to the kitchen, and throw the oven open. I slip on some oven mitts before removing the steaming hot pie from the white hot oven.

I quickly examine it, and breath a sigh of relief that it didn't burn.

I set it in the windowsill, and lie the oven mitts back in their drawer before walking out to the living room.

Carter and Taylor are sitting on the love seat- ironic isn't it- while my parents are sitting on the couch. I flop down into the recliner, and look around the room.

"Where's Colton?"

"He's feeding the horses," Carter answers, grinning at me.

We all sit in an awkward silence for a moment.

And then I notice a glimmer of light bouncing off a piece of jewelry.

A ring.

A ring on Taylor's finger.

An engagement ring.

"Oh my god," I gasp. "You two are engaged?"

A/N

Okay- sorry it took so long to
update and this isn't the greatest chapter. just trying to give you some background knowledge.

AND HOLY CRAP TAYLOR AND CARTER ARE ENGAGED!!!!!

Until Later, My lovelies