Chapter 27

I wake up in the morning still wrapped in Colton's arms. Despite the situation we're in, and the horrifying turn of events with Troy, I smile, lying my head in the crook of his neck.

He starts to stir, playing absentmindedly with my hair.

"Morning," I sigh, not wanting to move just yet.

"Morning," he chuckles quietly.

I hear what sounds like someone dropping a pan or a mixing bowl downstairs in the kitchen, and jump up.

"Crap," I grumble, pulling a brush through my disheveled hair. "I forgot they came home last night. My parents are going to kill me- and probably you, too."

"Calm down Ariel," he soothes, sitting up in my bed. "Nothing happened. Just tell them the truth."

I snort. "Like they'll believe me. Admit it Colton- them coming home to see you and I in bed together doesn't look good."

"But nothing happened," he stresses, pulling me to him. "You'll be fine- besides, you don't even know they saw me."

"You're cars in the driveway and you aren't on the couch. Do the math," I sigh, shaking my head. "You just sneak out, okay? I'll deal with my parents."

"I don't want to abandon you," he objects.

"Trust me, you won't be. It will just be easier for me to handle them alone," I laugh, placing a light kiss on his lips. "Now get out of here, okay? I'll take care of it."

"Are you sure," he asks, brushing a lock of misplaced hair out of my face.

"Yes," I chuckle. "I'll probably be grounded for life, but I'm sure."

He sighs, and nods, placing a kiss in my hair.

"Okay. Come on, let's get out of here," he states, wrapping his arm loosely around my waist before leaving the room with me in tow.

We quietly sneak down the stairs, parting ways once we reach the bottom.

"Call me later?" I request.

"Okay. Good luck," he wishes, pulling me towards him and pressing his lips to mine.

I disappear into the moment, forgetting where I am for a moment.

Can you say 'mistake'?

"Ah,  I see our little love birds have woken up," the familiar voice of my Mother chimes, a very apparent edge to her voice.

I pull away from Colton, and turn to her, my face bearing a guilty expression even though I've done nothing wrong, not really.

"Hi Mom," I say enthusiastically, acting as if nothings wrong. "How are you on this fine morning?"

"Not so good," she grits, fire in her eyes as she looks Colton and I up and down. "You see, I got home last night and saw Colton's car in the driveway. I figured he crashed on the couch- it wouldn't be the first time. But he wasn't on the couch. When I peeked into my usually well behaved daughters room, I saw you two asleep in the same bed. I can only imagine how you got there."

"Mom, it is so not what you think-" I object.

"I think its exactly what I think," she interupts, glaring at me.

"Would you let me finish," I snap loudly, shooting back a glare as vicious as the one on her face. "Troy came over yesterday and basically attacked me. Apparently, he doesn't understand the concept of being dumped. So Colton stayed over because I was terrified to be alone, especially after the whole stalking incident-"