Chapter 10

I tug on a pair of boot cut jeans and a like green tank top, planning to go ride Mellie like I was supposed to yesterday.

I slip on my boots and head down the stairs. I overhear her speaking on the phone tensely, and I follow the sound of her voice.

"What do you mean it fell through?" Taylor growls into her phone as she paces back and forth in the living room.

"Great. Just great. Call me again when you have better news," she snaps, hanging up the phone.

"What was that about?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

She sinks into the couch, and I mimic her actions.

"One of the foster kids I'm responsible for is having issues finding an adoptive family. She's just eight weeks old and already being rejected. She's had four adoptions fall through," she mutters, her eyes tired.

"That's awful," I quietly state.

"Yeah."

We sit in silence for a minute before I decide to change the subject.

"Have you decided on a date for the wedding?"

"Yeah- July 27," she states.

"But that's in a month! How are you going to plan everything by then?"

"Well, he proposed two months ago. We've been planning since then," she states, shrugging her shoulders. "Plus, we don't want anything fancy. Carter and I are fairly easygoing."

"Don't most people take at least a year to plan a wedding?"

"Carter and I aren't 'most people,'" she laughs. "Don't worry about it Ariel- I've got it under control."

"If you say so," I chuckle.

"And speaking of the wedding, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd be my maid of honor."

"Seriously?" I question excitedly. She nods, smiling. "Of course!"

She wraps me in a tight hug, nearly suffocating me.

"Though I would have thought you'd ask Serenity- or Joy- or Amelia!"

"You're my sister," she laughs. "Of course I'd ask you!"

Carter walks into the room and does a quick overview of the scene.

"What did I miss?" he questions.

"I'm going to be a maid of honor! Which is almost as awesome as being a bride," I shriek.

Carter chuckles, glancing at Taylor.

"Aren't you supposed to meet Amelia for coffee in like. half an hour?" he questions, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh my god, I totally forgot," Taylor exclaims, jumping up from her seat as if it had suddenly burst into flames. She looks at me quickly and says, "We'll talk more about it later?"

"Okay," I nod, before she run up the stairs to the room where she has all
her things.

I look up at Carter, and then to the door.

"I'm going out to the barn," I state, standing up, and heading out the door. He just nods, and turns the tv on, taking a seat on the couch.

I head out towards the barn, but stop when I notice Colton leaning against the pasture fence. I sneak up behind him and cover his eyes with my hands.

"Guess who?" I chime.

"Hmmm- the tooth fairy?" he chuckles. I smack his arm and move beside him.

"What what are you looking at?" I ask, scanning the field and failing to see anything suspicious.

"Nothing really- just thinking," he sighs. "So how'd things go with Callie yesterday?"

I frown at his changing the subject, but decide to go along with it.

"Great- we had a lot of fun." I smile, thinking about her Troy-being-gay joke. "But I never did get around to riding Mellie."

"Ariel! How is she ever going to get trained if no one rides her," he mock scolds.

"Can you blame me? She's absolutely crazy!" I laugh. "But I guess I should probably ride her, right?"

"I can go tack her up for you if you want," he suggests.

"Thanks you're the best!" I exclaim, giving him a quick hug. "I'm going to go call Troy really quick- we're supposed to go out for pizza tonight."

He nods slowly, and shoots me a crooked smile, before going to tack up Mellie for me.

I pull out my cell from my back pocket and dial up Troy.

"Hey," he answers.

"Hey Troy- we still on tonight?" I ask, combing my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah- I'll pick you up around 6:30," he half ask, half states.

"Sounds perfect. But I've got to go ride demon horse now. See you later!"

"Be careful," he chuckles. "Love you Ari."

"Love you, too," I reply, smiling against the phone.

I hang up and slip my cell back into my pocket.

I swing my leg over the fence, before pulling the rest of my body over in a swift movement.

I make my way towards Honey, who is peacefully grazing in the field.

"Hey girl," I coo, scratching her withers. She lifts her head in acknowledgement before going back to her previous state of munching. "I'm just going to hang out with you till Colton brings out psycho horse."

She snorts, as if agreeing with my description of Mellie's mental state.

I lean against her side, thinking silently to myself.

I bet we're going to be in the spotlight again now that Taylor, also referred to as 'America's Sweetheart' from time to time, and Carter are getting married.

Which won't be fun. I hate having my every move watched and paparazzi lurking behind every corner.

I glance towards the barn just as Colton walks out with Mellie, who is already putting up a fuss. She tries to read up, and I can tell Colton is having a hard time holding her.

"This should be interesting," I mutter to myself.

A/N

Hey you guys! I know, I know. I'm horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

So the main reason I haven't updated is that I got braces. The first two days I was in so much pain I could barely function. The third day it was better but I still couldn't eat solid foods. Now I can eat but I take a long time and look really funny whole eating XD

Oh, so I have to ask- are you Coriel or Troriel? (FYI I've already decided who she will end up with and there is no changing that!)

Oh and this is fairly random but, we can't use phones or internet at camp, and our only contact with the outside world is through letters. So on my last update before camp I might tell you guys the mailing address (and no I'm not worried of some creeper kidnapping me because that camp is actually really safe, I went last year and you are always 100% safe). so my question is, if I did would anyone write me? (I would write back and it would give me something to do during free time lol.)

Have a fantabulous night my lovelies.

P.S. Expect a Recovery update sometime this weekend.

P.P.S. I can't remember who, but someone commented on my last chapter saying that Troy should be gay and not know it and fall in love with Colton. Although I'm no doing that, that person made my day and should seriously be writing books if they aren't already because that would be HILARIOUS!