Chapter 16

"Is it alright if I sleep in the bed just for tonight? My neck is killing me." Keith complained and I immediately nodded. Lotor had always taught me to put other people's wants and needs over my own. "I mean, we could share but it's a single so it might not be very comfy. One of us would just need to roll over to shove the other onto the floor."

"I don't mind." Keith contemplated it for a minute before smiling gently. He sat down on the bed, tapping the space next to him.

"We can share but you're allowed to leave whenever you want. And if you need me, don't be scared to wake me up."

"I know: you tell me that every night, Keith."

"I'm just making sure you know you have a choice here." I nodded thankfully as he lifted up the cover and slipped beneath it. I did the same and our bodies were pressed right up next to each other. It was either that or falling onto the floor. His touch spread warmth throughout my body and I liked it, especially since I was a cold person in general. I closed my eyes and it wasn't hard for me to drift into the dream world.

-

I woke up and felt strong arms around my torso. Immediately, thoughts danced around in my head.

Hands in places they shouldn't be. Forced. You love me, right? If you loved me, you'd do this. Come on, Lance. Stop crying. Hands. Stop. Stop. Please, stop. I don't want this. If you love me, you'd do this. Hurt. Tears. You love me, right? Pain. Hurt. Tears. If you love me, you'd do this.

I rolled over to escape the arms and fell into a pile on the floor. I scrunched my eyes shut so that I wouldn't cry but, as soon as I heard the rustling of the covers, my breathing picked up. Static enveloped my brain like the worst possible hug imaginable. I could just about hear a voice but, with all the fuzzy noises, I couldn't tell who was speaking.

No. No. No. Please. I don't want to do this. I love you but I can't. Not today. Get off of me! Hurt. Tears. Pain. Stop it! No. No. I don't want to do this. I need space. Stop it! No. No. I don't want to do this.

"Lance!" The person was screaming over and over again so I just let out a loud cry, covering my ears with my hands. I rolled up into a ball so that whoever was with me couldn't get to me in as many places. I was sobbing by that point, unable to tear the feeling of Lotor's hands away from my mind. It was too much. I couldn't take it anymore. "Lance, Lance, you need to snap out of this! Listen to me! You're safe. It's Keith. I'm not going to hurt you and you're never going to have to go back to Lotor. You don't have to get back into bed with me if you don't want to. Just breathe with me, alright? I'm not angry. I just want you to be okay and know that you aren't in any danger."

I swallowed thickly, Keith's words replacing everything else that was echoing around my brain. I kept my eyes closed and focused on my breathing. Inhale. Exhale. One. Inhale. Exhale. Two. Inhale. Exhale. Three. Four. Five. Six. Soon enough, I had a better grip on reality and could tell that it was Keith beside me.

"Am I allowed to touch you?" Keith's voice was so soft that I trusted him. His voice made him seem about as threatening as a child's stuffed teddy bear. When I nodded, he pulled me into a calming hug. I buried my head into his shoulder, reminding me that Keith smelt like citrus. It was Keith with me. Not Lotor. Lotor was bland and, if I smelt citrus, everything was fine. I was safe. "Do you want to get back into bed?"

"I'm not very tired anymore. You can get back into bed if you want. I'll just put on a movie or do some tidying up or something."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I smiled the most genuine smile I could muster in that moment. "Certain."

-

I had been mainly wearing Keith's clothes until he had time to take me clothes shopping at the weekend. I didn't let him buy me to much but found a couple of shirts and a few pairs of jeans in Primark. I wouldn't have minded if I ended up having to wear his hoodies every so often. They were snug and always smelt like citrus.

We somehow ended up in what looked like a small, independent shop that sold candles. Everywhere I looked: candles. All shapes and all sizes. Keith had wandered off to one end of the shop whilst I started to sniff at the candles that were laid out at the front. I picked up one labelled vanilla bean and smelt it. It was sweet but much too sweet for my liking. I moved on, smelling lavender lush, apple crush (that one reminded me of Hunk) and another that was named midnight haze. I reached for a fifth candle that was bright orange in colour and, I recognised the scent as soon as it hit my nostrils. Keith. It was a mix of lemon and orange and it was rightfully called 'citrus dream'.

I picked it up and pretty much ran over to Keith. He was crouched on the floor, inhaling in the aroma of sea salt. He scrunched his nose up and put it back down. "Apparently the smell of salt is the most disgusting one on earth." He mumbled before standing up and acknowledging my presence.

"Please, please, please can I get this?" I begged, practically shoving it into Keith's face. He furrowed his eyebrows before pulling off the lid and smelling it himself.

"Do you like the smell of citrus?" He asked, sounding almost confused. The smile on his face suggested he found it pleasant too which was a good sign.

"You smell like citrus and yeah... it calms me down..." I could feel a pink blush spread across my cheeks as I realised how stupid the idea was. I was about to take the candle back but Keith nodded his head and took it back into his own hands.

"You can get it. Citrus is nice."

"Yay!"