Chapter 14

"Lance, I'm sorry to bring it up but... that time you had a black eye and those bruises on your wrist... did Lotor do it?" Keith's voice was soft as if I was glass that he was afraid to break. I glanced down into the coffee Keith had made me, conflicted. "You should tell me if he did. I can help." Keith's hand found its way to mine again and he squeezed it.

"Yes but it was only because I did something bad. I deserved to be hurt." I mumbled and Keith's face softened. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer so I could bury my head into him.

"What did you do that was bad?"

"I stayed out too long once. I can't really remember what else I did."

"You know that isn't actually bad, right? You're your own person and you have control over what you can do. You're allowed to stay out as long as you want."

"No," My gaze flickered upwards to meet his. "No, I can't."

"Yes, you can. What else did Lotor tell you was wrong?"

"H- Having friends... and money... he'd take my phone away a lot too but for good reason! He was trying to keep me safe."

"You do know that's wrong, right?" I didn't reply, burying my head further into Keith's shoulder. He smelt vaguely like citrus fruit and it was comforting, compared to Lotor's usual bland smell. "I assumed for a long time he wasn't treating you right and I wish I said something sooner."

"I love him and he loves me so it's okay, Keith. I don't see what's so wrong." Keith's fingers traced the bruises that covered my wrist so I flinched my arm back. His eyes were thin and he refused to tear his gaze away from my colourful skin. "Stop looking at me like that. I- I was happy with him."

"What he did wasn't right. You should be allowed to have control over your own life."

"I need him, Keith. He was everything to me."

"You don't need him. That's just what he wanted you to think."

"You have no idea!" I didn't mean to raise my voice; it just happened. Then I was on my feet and was sobbing loudly all over again. I knew shouting would earn me a punishment but people weren't allowed to put Lotor down like that. What he did was right. I deserved it all. I needed to be good. "Lotor was right about everything and you can't say he wasn't! I- I need him. I need to go back to him and I shouldn't be with you. You're going to use me and then hate me and- and-"

"Woah, calm down." I jolted away from him as if his touch would burn me. I was breathing so heavily that I had become rather lightheaded. The world was dancing around me, as if teasing me about my state. "Lotor wasn't right and I won't ever use or hate you. I-" Keith stood up and raised his arms- probably to hug me- but I didn't have enough time to think about it.

He's going to hit me. Hurt me. Punch me. Use me. Lotor warned me. I needed to be punished for shouting. Shouting wasn't allowed. Hitmehurtmepunchmeuseme. Can't breathe. I was going to die. Hitmehurtmepunchmeuseme. I needed to get out and get back to Lotor. Fast.

"Lance! Breathe!"

All I could see were bright colours. A figure stood in front of me but it was impossible to tell who it was. I raised my hands to protect my face and I choked out desperate words. "Please don't hurt me. Please. I'm sorry. I'll be good. Please."

Inhale. Exhale. One. Inhale. Exhale. Two. Inhale. Exhale. Three. Four. Five. Six.

I cracked my eyes open to see Keith was bent down in front of me, facial expression full of concern. I didn't know exactly how but I had ended squished in the corner, hugging my knees against my chest. Keith dropped down beside me, pressing his back into the wall. He left a small amount of space between us which I appreciated. "I'm sorry. I just- whenever you raise your hands- I-" I started to stammer but my words weren't coming out properly. My speech was probably an accurate representation of my thoughts: a complete and utter mess.

"Hey, hey, you don't need to explain it. I sort of understand. I'm sorry if I triggered you."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him and balanced my head on my knees. "Why... why are you apologising?"

"Oh, Lance..." He frowned and I still didn't quite understand. "It's my fault that you got triggered. None of this was your fault, alright?"

"Is- Is it okay if I go to bed early? I'm feeling kind of drained."

"Of course it is. I'll sleep on the sofa." I didn't have enough energy to argue. Keith stood up first and held out his hand to help pull me up. I didn't take it and, instead, hulled myself up onto my feet and followed him to his bedroom. His apartment was much smaller than mine and Lotor's so it only took about thirty seconds to reach the other room. Keith's bed was a single and half the size of the one I had been sleeping in with Lotor. Keith turned to leave but lingered by the door for an extra moment. "Goodnight, Lance. Don't fret to wake me up if you need anything."

"Night, Keith."