22-Experiments

{This won't be done on time, but should be done by the end of the week.}

The Avengers has finally gotten a drop on a Hydra base not to far outside of New York in virtually the middle of nowhere.

Spider-Man wasn't necessarily an important asset to the team for fights like this; Captain America, Iron Man and Black Widow could take them all down no problem. But Peter was called in because of his enhanced hearing and spidey-senses which can help them get the information they needed before they had to actually do the job of getting rid of the Hydra agents. Whether it meant killing them or getting them ready for Shield to pick up.

Peter can't believe he's actually missing a Chem Lab for this.

On a Monday morning nonetheless.

"Okay. Peter, you're with me. We're going in first. Quiet, stealthy. Gathering information and getting numbers. When I call it, Steve and Nat, you can come in and we start fighting. Again, quiet, stealthy. The fight will only need to start when someone calls for reinforcements. According to the drop we got, there shouldn't be more than 50 people in the building total. Understand?" Tony explains, hands clasped in front of him as he paces before his team.

Peter yawns in response, covering his mouth lazily.

"What's up with you, Spidey? Late night?" Natasha laughs, turning to the boy. He's in his suit, sans mask.

"Little bit. May or may not have only gotten like 3.. okay, 2 hours of sleep. It's 10 am on a Monday. What do you expect?I'm functioning," Peter groans,

"Told you he's your kid, Tony," Steve says, smiling fondly at the tired kid beside him. Peter uses his soft fists to rub the sleep out of his eyes, yawning a little bit. His hair still messy and loosely curly.

"Shut up," Tony mutters, rolling his eyes, but there's an obvious care in his smile thrown at the kid. "We ready to go?"

"Yep," Peter says, letting enthusiasm bleed into his voice. "Let's mess some shit up!"

"Language!" Steve reprimands halfheartedly.

"And we're not messing anything up right now. We're being quiet and sneaky, remember?" Tony says.

Peter rolls his eyes and tugs his mask over his head.

*

Inside the building, Peter has to strain. His suit has a new upgrade that's he's turned on where the sounds and lights are no longer filtered like they normally are so he doesn't have a sensory overload while patrolling. They'll be turned on as soon as the fight begins, but for now they're off so he can eavesdrop on everything around him.

"Anything?" Tony whispers as they stop at an intersection. He's starting to get anxious. They haven't encountered anyone. Not a single person anywhere. And Peter still can't hear anything around him other than their two hearts, their two breathing. With how hard he's trying to listen for anything, he can even hear the blood moving through their bodies.

Peter shakes his head minutely, holding up his hand in hesitation. He doesn't want them turning a corner and getting shot at just because he said it was safe.

But still. Nothing.

"Hey, I know this sounds really stupid," Peter says, voice bouncing through the otherwise silent hallways. "Even though you've got like heart problems and stuff, your heartbeat is really strong and even."

"You can hear my heartbeat?" Tony questions, frowning down at the kid. He's standing a good foot away and he can still hear his heartbeat.

"Like a fire alarm, Mister Stark. Just-" Peter cuts himself off, eyes widening a little bit. He throws his hand up to stop the billionaire from speaking and drops into a crouch. "There's people talking."