7-Betrayal

{TW for abuse ig}

Peter trudged into his apartment that night, cringing when he sees May's not alone. He doesn't like May's boyfriend. Something about his is just off, though he'd never admit it to May. It made his spidey-senses ring in the back of his skull.

"I have to work for a couple hours, but Alex will be staying to get you dinner and he's there if you need any help with your homework. I have to head out though," May says quickly, kissing both her boyfriend and her nephew on the forehead.

"Bye, May," Peter mumbles, already wanting to duck into his room and not leave for the rest of the night. He hates when he's left alone with Alex. Something about him... it just freaks Peter out and he doesn't know why.

"Bye, babe. Have fun. See you tonight," Alex says, winking at the woman.

May blushes, waves, then ducks out.

The moment the door closes, Alex turns on Peter, face drained of all the carefree joy from moments before.

"What's for dinner?" Peter asks quietly, spidey-senses pounding in the back of his skull.

"Nothing for you. Like you deserve to eat anything," Alex mutters, rolling his dark eyes.

"What?" Peter says, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Your Aunt is constantly complaining about how much you eat and how hard it is to pay for your food all the time. So you're going to be a good boy and skip dinner tonight, and tell May that we ordered pizza, alright?" Alex says, voice pitching higher as though he's talking to a toddler.

Peter frowns deeply, knowing his words are true. He's already been cutting back on breakfast, getting a granola bar and smoothie from the school's free breakfast program. May's been working less overtime shifts so she can spend time with Alex, but that means less money and Peter can't be eating as much.

Peter opens his mouth to speak, but Alex stands, squaring his shoulders and glaring down at the smaller boy.

"Go to your room," Alex snarls, pointing towards the hallway.

Peter's eyes widen and he quickly nods, scurrying off to his bedroom.

He immediately slams his door shut and collapses to the floor in front of it, confused as to why his hearts racing as fast as it is and why he feels the need for a flight or fight reaction.

*

It takes him an hour to convince himself to move away from the door and to his desk to start working on his homework, trying to ignore his growling stomach. He's never had to skip dinner before. He normally would've had sandwich from Delmar's and takeout dinner by now, but he doesn't want to leave on patrol until May's home, just so that Alex doesn't get pissed.

The door slams open, Alex's shadowed face glaring at him. Peter stumbles up to his feet, arms held in front of his chest as though he can protect himself. He can, but he wouldn't. He would never use his powers against May's boyfriend.

He shakes his head. Why would he need to use them? It's not as thought his Aunt's boyfriend would try to hurt him, right? Wrong.

His spidey-senses won't shut up.

Dangerdangerdangerdangerdanger. Getoutgetoutgetoutgetout.

Alex grabs Peter's collar, pushing him against the wall, stench of alcohol on his breath.

"You're a little fucking fag, aren't you?! May hates you! She's always complaining about you and saying how she wishes you weren't here! You're a fucking nuisance. Why are you still here?! Why do you even bother?" Alex yells. Peter doesn't see it coming, fear coursing through his veins and blocking out his spidey-senses, not letting himself believe it would come to that. Alex's fist hits Peter in the face, sending the teenager's head sideways, banging against the wall behind him. Peter's breaths are coming in short bursts, eyes wide and darting around the room, trying to find an escape.