20-Isolation

Peter couldn't sleep. He hadn't been able to sleep very well for a long time. He'd go nights without sleeping and then pass out one day so his body would survive the sleepless nights.

Ever since May died.

It was like Ben all over again. He was in passenger. Everything happened too fast for him to react. The car slammed into May's side of the car. The car went spinning. Glass shattering everywhere.

When Peter came to in a hospital, May had already passed away.

Peter moved in with Tony.

It's been 3 months.

He's barely slept since. A couple hours every couple days at most.

Tony's been giving him space. Time.

Peter's thankful. But he doesn't feel like he's getting better. Doesn't feel like anything can get better after the hell he'd been through.

It's a regular Saturday morning. Peter watches the sun rise from his balcony overlooking the city. It's barely 6 in the morning. He didn't get a wink of sleep, instead brushing himself with homework and reading and binging Supernatural. It's an understatement to say that he's tired.

The sun rises gently over the horizon, peeking out between the buildings and trees as Peter watches with drooping eyes.

Once it reaches 8, he makes his way down to the kitchen. Tony won't be up for another few hours, he thinks that Peter sleeps in too. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Peter makes some coffee, humming quietly to himself as he waits. Luckily, he hasn't gotten irritable with the lack of sleep, just drowsy and clumsy. He hasn't gone patrolling since before the crash, so he doesn't have to worry about the clumsiness causing him problems.

He sways his hips a little bit to the tuneless humming, pouring his coffee into a large mug and dousing it in sugar and milk. No matter how many times he drinks it, he'll never like the taste of coffee.

He heads to the living room, letting his shoulders hunch over his body as he sits in a chair next to a huge window. He like looking outside frequently because it's rare for him to have the energy to actually appreciate the outdoors.

He's switched to mostly online schooling, only going in once a week for Chemistry labs or math tests. Mostly it's to see Ned and remind him they're still friends. Peter says he'll go back to school next semester, but he's still unsure for he'll be okay enough to handle it. He's lost his last piece of family. He's got Tony, but he still acts like a mentor instead of the father-figure Peter needs.

Peter gets lost in his thoughts, watching cars drive by, so small from so high up.

Peter decides that's how he feels. Everyone else is watching from up high, and he's the little car way down below, struggling along through traffic.

"Hey, kid," Tony mumbles gruffly, shuffling to the kitchen for his morning cup of coffee. "You're up early."

"So are you," Peter deflects, tearing his eyes away from the scene down below.

Tony shrugs, dropping the argument as he sits across from Peter. He looks well rested for someone who claims to never sleep. He's been sleeping a lot more since Peter started living at the tower full time. He knows he has to be there for the kid and that means being in a good mental state, just so he can carry the burden of the kid's trauma.

Peter looks pretty wrecked, but it's a long time since he's looked any different. Tony's learned not to question it.

"How was your night?" Tony asks casually, but Peter sees right through.