38

Calum

I laid on the bed, a tired and miserable Emily in my arms. Luke had given her medicine and put gel on her mouth to try and make it feel better, but I got the impression that it didn't do much.

"Is it weird to say I missed the smell of your hoodies?" she laughed lightly, letting me take my arm from under her head. Her laugh quickly turned into a cough.

"I've heard weirder things from you, your alright?"

She sighed and closed her eyes, putting her arm over me.

"Why don't you go to sleep? Tomorrow is a whole new day and we can do something fun," I suggested, kissing her head and pulling her closer to my chest.

Within minutes, she was out.

"Her reaction earlier was one of the cutest, but heartbreaking things ever," Luke said, putting his phone down.

"Bless her, I can't imagine being in her position," Michael said, frowning.

She really was a fighter. After everything that had already happened, moving away to strangers in a different country wouldn't exactly appeal to me either.

"I wouldn't be able to do that. I wouldn't be able to lose the people who cared about me most, and just leave to somewhere that you could die without them," I said, kissing her head lightly when she stirred.

Could anyone? Sure, she'd physically done it but mentally, it was like a war for her.

"Can we take her to a theme park?" Luke blurted out, making me laugh lightly.

"I don't think her body is strong enough, she'll get tired,"

"But guys, we don't know when or if we are gonna see her again," he said honestly, "I promised I'd take her,"

"I mean, if we get fast pass...," I mumbled, frowning as Emily started to wake up. She groaned and hit her head on my chest, grabbing onto my shirt.

"I've got you, go back to sleep," I whispered, rubbing her back gently. She rubbed her eyes and whined again.

"I'm tired,"

"That's why you need to go to sleep Emily," Luke laughed, digging through his bag. He pulled out an old bear and brought him over, balancing him on her head.

"Is Mr.Fluffy's service required?"

She simply nodded and grabbed it, putting her head in my chest again.

"Is that your bear or her bear?" Michael teased, taking a photo of her curled up. She did look adorable.

"Her bear. She always used to bring him everytime she had to see me,"

"Then why do you have it?" I chuckled.

"Her brother used to make fun of her so she asked me to keep him... don't say anything about it please,"

"We won't... when could we go to the theme park anyway?" Michael asked.

"We should probably go next week. We don't want to tire her out for Friday so maybe next Monday or Tuesday?"

"Sounds like a plan," I yawned, climbing under the covers and hugging Emily again before she woke up.

"Night guys," I mumbled.

I woke up pretty early, the sun barely coming through the blinds and Luke snoring loudly. Emily wasn't in the bed.

The bathroom door was slightly open and the light was on- I knocked quietly on the door. When I had no response, I opened the door and bumped into a teary eyed Emily.

"What's wrong?" I asked, placing my hand on her shoulder. She flinched and stepped back.

"Nothing,"

"You don't have to be a genius to know you've been crying. I'm not going to be angry with you,"

"My mouth hurts, more than normal and I think my tooth- I don't even know but something came out," she cried, her hands shaking.

"Alright, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about ok? Do you want me or Luke to look?"

She shook her head and tried her best to cry quietly- she woke someone up anyway. I checked the time and saw it was actually half seven, later than I expected.

"What's wrong baby?" Luke said quietly, causing her to fall into me. He furrowed his eyebrows and I pointed at my cheek, hoping he'd get it.

"You're ok Emily, tell Luke what happened," I said, rocking us side to side. She didn't speak.

"She said her mouth really hurts and something came out,"

Surprisingly, she turned and went to Michael for a hug as he walked in. Luke bit his lip and looked at me for help.

"Emily, I'm going to have to see tomorrow anyway... is it bleeding?"

She shook her head and closed her eyes, her lip still trembling.

"If you're not going to let them look, we'll get you some medicine and chill ok?" Michael sighed, picking her up and taking her through to our bed.

"She's just tired mate. You know how much pain she was already in so, like anyone, she's jumping to the worst conclusions," I assured, noticing how hurt Luke looked.

I brought him in for a hug; he rested his head on my shoulder and sighed- their relationship meant so much to him.

"Honestly, don't take it personally,"

"She's never been like that before," he mumbled, standing up and looking out the door. She was sat with Michael. Broken.

"Just remember that for the past two months, she's been with people she'd never met before, and had so much stress put on her body,"

He nodded and smiled weakly, seeming to be lost in his own thought.

"Will she be ok?"

I looked down, biting my lip. In some ways, she was better because they'd managed to make her strong enough to walk, and keep her energy up for a good chunk of the day... but in terms of treatment, there was nothing.

Nothing had changed.

And honestly, it probably wouldn't.

"Calum? She'll be ok, right?" he urged, his eyes glossy from tears waiting to spill.

"I-I... I don't think she will be,"