Warnings: The best freaking burn scene I have EVER written. AND I didn't even curse. I always have trouble with writing effective insults because I feel like they aren't that effective without curse words, but I don't like to curse, so... ANYWAYS. Also, there's character death, so yeah.

Word Count: 2487, ALT ending included

Jerome's POV

"Mitch!"

"Jerome!"

"What'd you do to Betty!?"

"Um... Oops?" we say in unison.

"No, not oops! More than oops!" I shout, stomping down the stairs to meet Mitch in the living room. "You broke Betty! Seriously, what the heck!?"

"Well, you managed to bleach my checkered hoodie! It's pink and grey now! Ugh," he complains, looking down at the ruined hoodie he's wearing.

I chuckle nervously. "That was an accident. But how on earth does one snap a diamond axe in half?" I ask, holding out Betty for him to see.

He scratches the back of his neck, looking down at his feet. "I, uh, Ian wanted to test out his Ultimate Sword, and I couldn't find my sword, so I just used Betty, and... It was an accident, OK?" He looks back up at me. "Why can't you just make a new Betty?"

"What? I can't do that, it wouldn't be the same! What about all the memories that we have with Betty? I can't just make a new one, Mitch!" I yell. Honestly!

"Well, sorry!" he says sarcastically. "Come on, Jerome! It's an axe!"

"Come on, Mitch, it's a freaking hoodie!" I retort. A hoodie!

"Yeah, but it's special!"

"No, it's not! Go buy another!"

"I can't, you idiot, my late grandmother made it!" Oh. Well, now I feel bad, but I can't let him know that.

"Maybe after you die and go to the Nether, you can ask her to make you a new one," I sneer. (Well, that escalated quickly.) Okay, that might have been a bit much.

His face shows that he is angry, but his eyes show that he is hurt. Oh, boy, what have I done? I didn't actually mean to hurt him, I thought he'd just brush it off and reply with an equally mean comment. Then we'd realize how ridiculous the fight was and make up, like we always do. "Mitch..," I begin, dropping Betty and reaching toward him hesitantly.

He takes a step away from me. "No. Stay away from me, you filthy, stinking bacca," he hisses, only he's not joking like he usually is when he says those words. He means it, and that hurts.

"M-Mitch, I didn't really mean it-" I start. I can't lose my best friend over something this silly. "This, this whole fight is just stupid. Can we-"

"You're stupid," Mitch snarls. "A stupid, unwanted, sad excuse for a bacca. Geez, even the zombies have more class than you."

"Mitch..," I trail off as tears brim at my eyes. He doesn't really mean that... Does he?

"Ever consider taking a bath, Bacca?" he asks. "Actually, that's probably a bad idea. Your filth would turn the water brown." He pauses and looks me up and down. "But maybe a hair cut? Then again, it would suck if you messed up like the clumsy idiot you are. I wouldn't wanna be stuck constantly seeing the ugly monster beneath that fur." He steps toward me, pushing me up against the wall.

"M-Mitch?" I squeak. "I-"

"What? Too slow to understand?" he asks innocently. Tears stream down my face. "Let me sum it up for you: You are a dumb, ugly, worthless animal. Honestly, the only reason I'm your 'friend' is because no one else will have you."