Makoto Tachibana -The Boy with The Cute Smile-

Start from the beginning

God, he was so cute.

* * * * *

"Who's that guy?"

At lunch, you and Mai connected both of your tables so you two were face-to-face. Mai was in the middle of eating her shrimp when you asked. "Who's who?"

"That guy with olive hair." You say, blushing. "The boy with a cute smile."

Mai's eyes comically turned wide. She smiled so wide it must hurt and before you could say anything more she swallowed her shrimp and let out a scream. Thank god there weren't many people inside the class.

"Oh my god!! Oh my god! Oh my god!!"

"Mai, shush!" You pulled her hand, forcing her to sit back down when she attempted to stand up but the action didn't stop her from smiling.

"Oh my god, do you like him? God, [First Name]-chan you're going to get a lot of rivals but it's okay I totally support you so do you like him?"

"Mai!" You blushed harder. "I'm just asking for his name!"

"Oh! OK OK! That's totally okay, but if you decide to like him—"

"Mai!"

"Ok! Ok!" Mai said, throwing her hands to the air. "His name is Tachibana Makoto."

"Tachibana Makoto?" Your eyebrows furrowed. "That's quite a girly name for someone like him."

"I know right," Mai snorted, "there are like two other people like that in here; Nanase Haruka, the guy next to Tachibana, and Hazuki Nagisa, a second year." She chewed on her rice. "They're all part of the swimming club."

"Swimming club?" You questioned but put it aside as you start eating your lunch.

You immediately regret saying that as you looked up to see Mai and a smirk on her face. Before you could say anything, Mai hold your hand.

"We're going to see them after school."

* * * * *

You held the urge to slap yourself when Mai literally stood in front of you the moment the bell to go home rang. You glared at her, hoping that she was kidding about taking you to see the swimming club. But then she leaned in, whispered to your ear.

"Let's wait for a few minutes before we see them."

At the corner of your eyes, you could see Tachibana Makoto and Nanase Haruka stood up, both holding their bags and walked out of the classroom.

A few of your classmates threw a 'See you tomorrow' at you, to which you felt grateful for even though you were still planning to not make friends here.

When the class was finally empty but you and Mai, she grinned as she took your hand, pulling you up from your seat and all the way to the door. She didn't stop once she was on the hallway, instead picked up her pace and now you two were running on the hallway. You were glad with Iwatobi students and their eager to leave the school because if the hallway was still crowded, there was a big chance someone could get hurt because of you.

Mai pulled you all the way that you almost see the school gate. Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion but before you could voiced it, Mai suddenly stopped. Looking to your left, you saw stairs leading up between trees.

"This is their swimming pool," Mai said, "different than the one we use for PE. Now come on—"

"Wait, Mai."

You tugged your hand from Mai and hissed at her. "What are you doing? Are you sure they want to be bothered by us?"

"Don't worry," she replied, "they're really nice. And you really have to meet them! Now come on!"

She pulled you up to the stairs, ignoring your hissing and occasional tug on how it was a bad idea. After all, maybe they'd be too busy practicing.

Once you were up on the ladder, Mai dragged you all the way to the pool. She let out a small 'Ta-da!' as your eyes took sight of the clear pool in the middle of sakura trees.

There was a girl beside the pool, red haired tied in a ponytail with a clip board on her hands. When she looked up and saw you, her face brightened up. She speed walked to you.

"Hi! I'm Matsuoka Gou, the swimming club manager. Are you interested in being a part of it?"

Her eyes brimmed with excitement, something similar with Mai's and you found yourself suddenly backing away. You opened your mouth to say something before another voice beat you to it.

"Nakahara-san and... [Last Name]-san, right?"

Turning around, you saw Tachibana Makoto standing in front of you, already in his swimming suit. Nanase Haruka by his side and two other students you didn't know. Beside you, Mai grinned turned wider and she nudged you.

Your face turned red, all sense of words suddenly disappeared when Tachibana gave you a confused look. How could someone look confused yet still look cute? That should be illegal.

"I'm here to introduce [First Name]-chan to—"

"We're here to see the club!" You blurted out. There was no way you would let Mai took control of this conversation. You loved her, but sometimes her eagerness was too straight forward for you to handle. "We've been looking at clubs so I think why don't we go see the swimming club."

And then suddenly, just like Gou's, Tachibana's face brightened. "Really? That's good!" he smiled, and for once, you think you had somehow move to Heaven.

"I know we're in the same class but I'm Tachibana Makoto, the club captain. If you decided to join, please tell Gou."

You nodded you head, putting on a smile and urge the feeling to say 'Yes, I know your name already but thanks anyway'. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Makoto-senpai, let's start the practice!" Behind you, Gou called out. Turning to the girl, you and Tachibana realized how the other members were already on the pool.

Tachibana yelled out a 'ok' as he start jogging to the pool. But before he could completely join the others, he turned back to you and gave you another smile. "Feel free to stay and see the practice. Maybe you'll like it."

You gave him a short nod, watching him joining the others, "Thanks." The smile that you didn't know you've been holding blossomed.

Beside you, Mai nudged your hand again, a smirk on her face. You found yourself smiling harder and mentally thanking her, reminding yourself to properly thank her later.

You watched as Tachibana got into the pool, laughing and smiling with the others before they finally start practicing.

Maybe the swimming club wasn't so bad. Not when the Captain was that cute.