Chapter 1 ~ Temporary Homes

Mckayla
~

I welcomed the smell of my fresh kill as I hovered over its lifeless body. I'd been neglecting my appetite, missing the opportunity to hunt game in the last several days. I was more interested in the deaths of my enemies. That fed me as much as the meal I had before me now. Realistically, many I killed were not my enemies. It was a job. Nothing personal. No emotions attached.

I'd been asked by Nevada pack Alpha to hunt down a group of viscous rogues and once I had a mission, I saw to it. I wasted no time staying in one location for too long. The thought of being tied down never sat right with me. It only set an opportunity up to let another gather what they thought to be as weaknesses. I was a mystery to all and planned to keep it that way. For several years, I'd seen much. I did not live in the luxury of homes or have friends. I was in wolf form most of the time. My wolf liked leading me. My wolf kept me always guarded. None could approach at my back.

I held my head up high as if my snout were my eyes. I could smell mundane wolves near. Once they realized I wasn't a normal wolf they'd change direction. They always did. I was not approachable even on my calmest days.

After I finished feasting on the deer I'd killed, I grew tired heading toward my temporary home. My den was only mines not shared with anyone.

That's what I had. Temporary homes all over the United States, never staying in one place for too long. As I made my way to my den for the night, I did what I always done for the last several years. I paced around angrily, snarling at nothing but the dark sky. No snout lifted, searching for nothing. There was no moon to be seen. The clouds were thick and murky grey in sky. It would rain this night. I'd be cold and alone like I'd been several years now.

Snarling, I wanted to kill something. I hated remembering. After that night, my once adored father practically broken me. He'd forced me out of the pack. I shifted wolf never looking back. In the beginning, I thought of going back. Every year for three years I considered it, hoping he'd seen pass me being with other women. But soon reality hit. If he had changed he would have come searching for me. I hadn't known where I was going but I ended up in New Mexico. My life changed that night. Thinking about it never helped. I roared loudly, now hungry for a fight. That's why I got into the business of hunting other Weres. I imagine some from my old pack mangled between my canines and claws. That's what allowed me to sleep some nights. For the most part I was always restless. Always seeking a new kill. Picturing many of my old pack, dead by my canines and claws. All these years and I never touched one piece of Arizona like a traumatizing memory. That last night in Arizona was traumatizing. Hunting other rogues was a way to release the anger that boiled inside me. But, in truth, my anger never lessened. I felt rabid and out of control at times. Wild and wolfish but I didn't mind that new part of me. It kept me safe and smart in who I let around me.

In the last several years I'd been more wolf than my malicious father had been in his hundred and something years. Last time I was in human skin was three weeks ago and that was only because I needed to ask questions about who I was hunting. Too many said I smelled more wolf than a typical Were right before I killed them. I assumed that's why it was easier for me to sneak up on a Were even on high alert. And once they laid eyes on me before I killed them, their eyes widen by the dominance I possessed. I wanted my prey to fear me.

I finally positioned myself on the spiky layer of grass, snarling unnecessarily for a few seconds more before I closed my eyes.

Another week passed quickly once I made it back to New Mexico. Since it was the first place I come to after that painful night, I sort of adopted New Mexico as my go to place every couple of months. I'd met Jace, the Alpha of New Mexico and he'd let me stay if I did small jobs for him. Everyone wanted something from me. Deep down I knew Jace would let me stay if I wanted. I could not give him that. That would give him more of me.