City of Heroes Part 1

Start from the beginning

Lian Yu

It's been five months since we've stopped Fyers. Five months with nothing to do on this island but train, train, and train some more. In those five months, Shado taught me how to use the bow and arrow. It's my much prefer weapon, but I liked the dagger Slade gave me. If I'm not training with Shado, then I'm training with Slade. If I'm not training with Slade then I'm relaxing with Ollie. Or at least I use to until he and Shado became a thing. So I've been spending most of my time with Slade. At this time it feels like he's my only friend.

Which gave me much relief when Shado and I went hunting for some fish. It's been a few days since I've trained with her and my arms are pretty sore from the bamboo combat with Slade. I'm not really that surprised when we came back to camp with a chicken to see the guys trained. Oliver stopped and smiled at Shado, which gave Slade the upper-hand and slapped Oliver with the stick. I started to laugh while he grunted.

"You're not the first man to learn the hard way. Women are a distraction," Slade mocked Oliver.

"Says the woman who caught you guys dinner," I retorted as Shado went to help Oliver up. I went towards Slade, who tossed me a bamboo. "Really? Can't we wait till after we eat?"

Slade chuckled. "Never hurts to train, Girl Scout."

"They've come very far in a few months," Shado said. "Don't beat yourself up."

"Ah, apparently that's his job," Oliver said as he pointed to Slade.

"And I love my job," Slade joked.

"Well, your job sucks," I added.

"It's not like I could trade it for a way off this island."

Glad to see Shado was on my side. "While you two were playing with each other," she motioned to me, "we were hunting."

"There's nothing more attractive than two women who can hunt," Slade said. He winked at me before going towards our dinner. I shook my head at him in amusement.

"When we were first marooned here, our first meal was a pheasant," Oliver said. He looked at Shado. "Your father cooked it for us."

Shado scoffed. "He was an awful cook." At least he can cook. Unlike mine who likes takeout.

"Yeah."

"But a great father."

I went towards Slade and the cage. I grabbed the chicken before handing it to Slade.

"I'm looking at the proof," Oliver admitted. Slade and I exchanged glances while Oliver flirted with Shado. I fake gagged while they kissed, making Slade shaking his head at me in amusement.

He wrapped his hands around the chicken's neck. "Let's eat," he told the couple before breaking the chicken's neck.

Then we heard a small beep. "What's that?" I asked before we crowded around one of the crates.

"That's Fyers' proximity detector," Slade answered.

"We salvaged it from the wreckage of the soldier's camp," Shado added on as she held the device. "Picks up anything moving outside our safe zone. It's been five months since we stopped Fyers. He and all of his men were dead."

"So maybe it's an animal," Oliver suggested.

"There's an imaging interface." Shado clicked a few buttons to show the interface. There were three people near the safe zone. By the looks of it, they had guns on them.