Part 19

"YOU'RE CRAZY!!" Jungkook yelled at Annalise, standing behind me as I wept on the floor, several feet away from Mia's body. Everything was hazy, as if I was wearing ear muffs and someone smeared grease on my eyes.
I could hear Namjoon calling the police, and Jenny clinging on to Jungkook as he screamed at Annalise, who had retreated into the corner, still pointing the knife at him. All I could focus on was Mia. I pulled myself towards her, willing my limbs to move.
I brought up her head and cradled it in my lap, still sobbing as I brushed a lock of her hair back behind her ear. Closing her eyes, I whispered her name over and over again, willing myself to wake up from this nightmare.
Mia, bright, bubbly, happy Mia, who made me laugh on the worst of days, and sing on the best of ones, was gone. Her light was forever extinguished, never to cast her beacon into my darkness again. I recalled all the goofy memories of our friendship in my mind, and cried harder than I was before, which seemed almost impossible.

"Mia, bring the worm back outside!" Her mom yelled.
"But Mommy it's our pet! We even named him! Guess what we named him!" The six year old replied excitedly, the six year old Noir standing silently beside her, smiling. Mia's mother sighed and rubbed her temples as she answered.
"What did you name him?"
"Bert! Bert the Worm!" Noir burst out, and both her and Mia burst into the giggle fits, Mia's mom shaking her head and laughing as she shooed them back outside with their newfound friend.

I sobbed at the memory, my breath catching as I heard chaos explode around me, the faint sirens in the distance playing like a song on repeat.

"Mia! Wait for me!" Ten year old Noir yelled as Mia hurriedly rushed up the wooden ladder to their tree house.
"Hurry or we'll miss her!" Mia replied, quickly grabbing their notebook full of unicorn drawings and running to the small window that opened up to the neighbor's yard. Noir quickly ran up beside her.
"Do you see her?" Noir asked, scanning the yard. Mia didn't reply for a couple seconds before she yelled out a response, pointing to the neighbor's hedges.
"Look there she is! The Golden Unicorn!" She yelled excitedly, and Noir excitedly looked out. There stood a tall and elegant golden Unicorn, and with the help of imagination, Noir and Mia redrew their drawings and wrote down several facts about the Unicorn for the rest of the afternoon.

I felt myself get pulled back, and I screamed as the paramedic shoved me aside, taking Mia's body in his arms and walking out. I ran behind him, yelling before a pair of strong arms pulled me back before I could throw any punches.
         Namjoon grabbed my shoulders tightly, gripping them hard enough to hurt. I grit my teeth as he turned m to face him, though I struggled enough he shook me to get my attention.
"Noir! Noir! Listen to me! It's going to be ok! They're here to help!" His eyes were frantic, searching mine for any reaction to his words. I growled and attempted to push him away.
"Help?! How can they help when she's already-" my words caught in my throat before I could finish, and Namjoon hugged me tightly in response.
"Shh it's ok."
"Don't tell me that!" I shoved him off me, and hurt flashed in his eyes before something else replaced it. Anger?
"Fine. I'm going to talk to the officers." He stalked off and I turned in time to see the paramedics lay a white sheet over Mia, and roll her into the ambulance.

"Mia, what's in the jar?"
"A fly."
"A...fly?"
"Yerp."
"Why do you have a fly in a jar?"
"So no one would hurt him."
"He's going to suffocate in there."
"Nuh uh! I poked holes!"
"..Is that the fly from the classroom?"
"So what if it is?"
"Mia!" I laughed. Mia shrugged and placed the jar in the side pocket of her backpack.

"Mom? Can you come pick me up?"
---------------------------------------------------------
😭😭