"My cars over here." He added, pointing to his car.

"I know, I'm just going to walk." I told him.

"No. I already told you this. I'm taking you home." He snapped at me.

"It's fine. You're mad, I'll just give you some space." I told him, still feeling guilt for what I'd said.

"Ok, I'm mad, so what? I'm taking you home anyways." He demanded me

"Get in the car." He added

I sighed, giving up, and walked to the car. River had a satisfied look in his eyes for half a second before it went back to a mix of anger and sadness.

****

The car ride is awfully quiet and I could cut the tension with a knife. River was still mad, and I was still guilty. I decided I have to apologize.

The thing about me is that I've never been good with my words. I get awkward and run out of things to say.

I knew exactly what I had to do, but it was going to be embarrassing.

I took a couple deep breaths and started singing,
"You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty. You know I try but I don't do too well with apologies."

River looked at me with confusion as I sang "Sorry" by Justin Bieber. I can't tell if he's shocked because I'm apologizing or if he's shocked because of my singing. Saying I sound like a dying whale, would be putting it softly. I am single handedly the worst singer on Earth, despite this I continued,

"I hope I don't run out of time, could someone call a referee? Cause I just need one more shot at forgiveness"

River stopped at a stop sign and was now staring at me, waiting for me to continue.

"Is it too late now to say sorry?" I sang trying to extend the note, and it sounded absolutely horrible.

With that River threw his head back and started laughing with all that he had. His eyes were shut tight and his mouth wide open. He was clutching his stomach so tightly and bending over. I guess River did laugh.

I'm glad he's enjoying my embarrassment.

As he continued laughing, I couldn't help but chuckle. What was I thinking? Why did I just sing to him?

I immediately stopped chuckling, instead being consumed in a complete wave of embarrassment. River was still laughing, a little harder now, may I add.

I huffed in annoyance, trying to get him to stop, but this just made him laugh harder.

I slapped his shoulder as he started to calm down.

"You're so annoying!" I yelled at him.

River was wiping tears from his eyes and moving his face around to stretch it after being open so wide, for so long.

"I think that was the best apology I've ever received." He said, holding back laughter again.

"Does that mean I'm forgiven?" I asked hopefully.

"Yes, Hailey it means you're forgiven." He smiled at me. It was a genuine smile. One I'd never seen before and I had a feeling not a lot of people did see it.

"Good," I said "because I really am sorry. I didn't mean it." I told him

"Don't sweat it Hailey, really, I'm okay." He told me, still smiling. 

I was glad that I made him laugh so much, and made him look this happy right now. It was good to know I put a smile on a face I never thought smiled.