PARALLEL DIMENSIONS: 19

19

19. SYBIL VAIN'S FIRST LOVE

Oh, love your flaws and live for your mistakes

Beauty is on the surface wearing thin

Come closer show the marks upon your skin

Show me that you're human

(Human, Gabrielle Aplin)

"Lunch is ready," Maria called nervously, poking her head out from the kitchen's arch.

As collected as ever, Sybil lifted his gaze to her.

"You can serve it on the terrace's table," he instructed her, keeping his voice gentle but firm.

She wore a short cherry-printed apron that left her beautiful legs in plain sight and tightened around her rich breasts. Her make-up had a natural finish and a peach glossy lipstick shone on her full lips.

Sybil gave her the same delighted look he'd given to the carps in a koi pond.

With a snap of his fingers, he could've had her in a biblical sense, but he wasn't at all that kind of man. Moreover, he didn't want the soap opera that would've come from it. Already at that moment, as she stood straight under the kitchen's arch, jealousy, anger, frustration, and sadness played on her face. She was a bomb ready to go off and Sybil didn't have the slightest intention to be the trigger.

Regardless of how good he was at rebalancing people and soothing their hard emotions, he couldn't handle two blasts at a time.

Maria was the kind of girl that deep inside dreamed of a husband and children. Even if Sybil led a peaceful and ordinary life, his very existence was on a whole different level. He wasn't affected by the constant buzzing of the collective consciousness, pushing people into normal living standards. He took no interest in social dynamics, least of all in starting a family. His idea on how to preserve humankind didn't fathom any biological implication on his part. He didn't have personal dreams and he just wanted to enjoy the present moment. His only wish was for humanity to achieve a higher state of consciousness.

Basically, his vision of the world was beyond Maria's reach.

She stepped in the room, but when Sybil raised his left hand, she stopped a couple of meters away from the sofa. Set was still shaken by the vision of the accident, his head resting on the Oracle's lap, his hands covering his face to hide the tears streaming down his eyes. If Maria noticed, they were up for some big drama. Sybil took a deep breath and gestured for her to leave the room. She didn't move.

"What happened?" she asked suspiciously.

"You may leave." Sybil kept a soft tone, but his eyes gave her a cold and firm command. "We will join you in a moment."