QUANTUM LEAPS: 17

17. THE DEMON SAID: "MEET YUKIHIRA MURASAKI."

I'm a small and gentle man

Who carries the world upon his shoulders

Kindly lend a helping hand

Come over...

And hold on to me, hold on to me

(Hold On To Me, Placebo)

On Wednesday morning, nobody pulled Set out of bed. He slowly opened his eyes and stretched. Apart from the ticking of a clock on the bedside table, the house was silent.

The boy rubbed his eyes and then turned around on the pillow to check the time. It was past eleven. He liked the peaceful atmosphere, but the silence made him uncomfortable as he thought that Vain could've disappeared somewhere. Shaking his head, he dragged himself to the bathroom and dipped in the tub. The water's warm embrace enveloped him and turned his body into jelly. His eyes half closed, he breathed in the light steam carrying a hint of the lemongrass scented soap. Still, that feeling of uneasiness lingered in the back of his mind.

After he got out, he slipped into a pair of jeans and the red t-shirt that Sybil had bought him. As he stood in front of the sink, he rubbed his eyes again and pulled back his hair. He glanced at his reflection. The room was so huge that the steam didn't fog up the mirror. His mouth dropped open.

In place of the hungry homeless boy Set used to be, there was a guy—at least five years younger—that looked like he had been dieting to be on screen. He had clean-shaven, fair skin and a model's face framed by shining, dark hair with red frosted tips. There were no dark circles under his big bright eyes, and the new clothes fit him like a glove.

Set had not seen a decent version of himself for so long that he couldn't recognize his own face. His hand moved up to touch the mirror as he took a closer look. Still in disbelief, he pinched his cheek.

The guy in the mirror did the same.

Set's fingers stroked his cheek, enjoying the contact with smooth, soft skin. He stretched his mouth in a smile.

At that, the face in the mirror brightened, displaying perfect white teeth.

Set shook his head again and stepped back. He still couldn't believe he managed to get fixed up so nicely, and it wasn't because of the price of it. Money was something he could have had if he wanted, but to be touched by all those people, that was another thing. Left by himself, he would've gone mad and smashed everything around. However, Sybil Vain's gentle touch had come every time Set was about to lose it. Small gestures – like resting a pale hand on his shoulder or over his head – and magically all was well.

Since his disorder had manifested, Set had given up on any sort of intimacy. He couldn't even remember the comfort of another's touch and that was for the best. His heart had longed for it though, to the point he could hardly let go of the other man's hand when they finally got back to the flat the previous day, after the treatments.

Sybil Vain had brought hope back into his heart.

He could finally imagine having a decent life. So, even if the man's odd behavior creeped him out at times, Set didn't have the slightest intention to keep him at bay. He needed to find out why the man wasn't affecting him and if there was a way to actually get rid of his demon. He took a deep breath and walked to the living room.