Chapter 30: Approaching the Winding Street

Start from the beginning

"This was the only way to make sure you'd come," Cole says, facing me and patting my shoulder before him and Taylor leave so that it's just Amelia and I. There was something about his hard expression that's put me on edge.

I watch Cole and Taylor's receding backs, unable to even start comprehending their words. Why's everyone talking in riddles today? With only Amelia left, I shift my gaze towards her with eyes begging for an explanation but she's not looking at me. Her eyes are far away but focused at the same time.

She nods her head once and I can't tell if that's meant for me or not. If not me, then who?

Amelia then tilts her head in my direction, her eyes meeting mine in an instant. My breath hitches in my throat and I lose my train of thought. Her irises hold a sense of security but they're also abnormally lighter, more honey than hazel; it's like hope is lingering within them, changing their whole outlook.

What was I confused about again? Oh yeah, what on earth am I doing here?

"Before you blame the others, I want to make sure it's clear that it was all my idea," Amelia says, furrowing her brows. I can't help noticing how adorable she looks when she does that. But what does she mean?

"What idea?" I ask, voicing my confusion.

"Just, please, keep an open mind," Amelia requests.

"You're starting to worry me, Ayms, but okay," I agree. Amelia smiles at that.

She thanks me then, facing the bleachers now, cups her hand to her mouth and calls, "You can come out now!"

Wait, what?

A dark figure reveals themselves from underneath the bleachers and approaches us slowly. With every step my anxiety heightens, and the shadow becomes clearer.

The first thing I notice are a pair of olive-green eyes, distinct and all too familiar. Atop the person's head is a mop of light brown curls. The sides are shaved, and a few loose curls fall in front of his eyes.

With the sun giving them a spotlight, I'm shown their tanned skin, sharp jawline and toned body. They haven't changed much since the last time I saw them - they've maybe just grown taller and built more muscle.

"It's been a while, Kai," they say once they reach me, their voice neutral but laced with a hint of longing.

"Yeah, it has," I all but fight to get out, helpless in knowing how to act in this situation. What are you meant to say when your ex-friend and teammate approaches you out of the blue acting completely unfazed?

Noah stands opposite me, arms loose by his sides. Closer now, it's evident that he's just a little shorter than me. His face, dislike his voice, is also almost completely expressionless apart from that tinge of emotion.

I have no idea what he's thinking, however, our meeting after three years of distance doesn't seem to bother him at all. How is he so relaxed?

I don't meet his eyes.

Unable to face his stare, I cower and tear my eyes away to find Amelia's instead. Her own eyes are shifting between Noah and I. She's watching us like she's reading a page of one of her books: intriguingly searching.

"Excuse us for a minute," I say to Noah, pulling Amelia aside. "You brought him here, didn't you?" I spit, my words coming out harsher than I meant them to. I can't control myself right now with my emotions all over the place.

Amelia flinches and I expect her to return my frustration, but she doesn't. Instead, she recomposes herself, takes my hands into her own and bores her eyes into mine.