Chapter 30: Approaching the Winding Street

Thank you for another pretty cover kensalie

Listen to 'Smile' by Mikky Ekko for this chapter

~~~~

Taylor meets me by my locker after my final class of the day. She's leaning casually against the metal, her waist-length hair tied up in a high ponytail and gaze focused intently on the watch on her wrist. As soon as I reach her, she looks up at me then rolls her eyes.

"About time," she says before grabbing my arm and beginning to drag me to wherever she's going.

"Woah, hey, what are you doing?" I protest, utterly confused, as I attempt but fail to free myself from her iron grip.

"Just come with me," she replies, ignoring my complaints and continuing to march ahead, "and before you say anything, Cole told me everything."

Without a second thought, I plant my feet in the ground, forcing Taylor to stop.

"Then you know." I state, despite already knowing her response. My shoulders tense and jaw locks. I did tell Cole to tell her after all and I'm glad he did, but I hadn't thought this far ahead to consider Taylor's reaction.

She nods her head.

"But you're still here."

She nods her head again.

"Why?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" she questions, her back still towards me, "I'm all too familiar with dark pasts Kai, you know that, so who would I be to judge you?"

I've never thought of it that way but, in a sense, she's right. We've both been through a lot even though our situations are a million miles apart. We've both been treated unfairly as outcasts and people we're not.

"Besides, nothing has changed. You're still the same guy who helped me out that first day we met," Taylor continues. She then turns her head to face me, the fire in her eyes burning brighter than usual.

"Thank you," I breathe, relaxing at her words.

I never thought I'd get this far but now everyone I care about knows the truth and yet they're not treating me any differently than before. I'll never be deserving of their kindness or understanding. That doesn't mean I'll stop trying.

"What are you thanking me for?" Taylor asks, cocking her head to the side, a small smile playing on her lips.

"You know," I pause, sure that she gets it, but she just raises her eyebrows. Of course, she wants me to say it out loud. I should've known. Well, if that's what it takes.

"Thank you for . . . for accepting me despite everything." I admit, looking downwards in embarrassment.

Taylor just winks then continues pulling me along to God knows where.

We exit the school building and I assume she's heading for the gates; however, Taylor decides to turn the corner and head for the football pitch. I haven't been to the forest green playing field since I was on the team and I hadn't planned for that to change.

Once again, my efforts are gone to waste as I try to escape Taylor's clutches. She doesn't even struggle, but it is Taylor after all.

At the centre of the pitch stand two people and, as we get closer, I identify them as Amelia and Cole. Okay, what are the four of us here for?

"What's going on?" I ask gruffly as Taylor comes to a stop beside them, finally freeing my arm. I'm really starting to lose my patience and standing on the very ground where I played that dreaded final game doesn't help.