Chapter 52 Vipers

Start from the beginning

"Yes, make fun of me, will you," Iolaus said flatly, "I've only waited for eternity to make you my wife."

"Are you causing trouble again?" An amused looking Iason appeared at her side.

Vara crossed her arms and pouted. "It is unfair how you just assume it is my fault."

He looked at her unimpressed, making Iolaus and Ophelia laugh.

Vara huffed. "So unfair."

A throat was being cleared and the group looked up to find Cyrus at their side. He looked at Vara a moment before turning his attention to Iason. "A word with you."

"My prince?" Iason asked confused. As far as he knew, he had done nothing to offend the man.

"What's going on?" Vara asked warily.

"We need to talk about the report you sent in, about the increase of attacks from Balor near the border."

"We have it under control," Iason spoke calmly, "as the report shows..."

"The men you sent to Salvire..."

"Cyrus, please," Iolaus intervened, "it is my wedding day. Today we celebrate. I'm sure warfare can wait. We can trust our soldiers to keep the border. All other discussions should be postponed."

Cyrus gritted his teeth. He was still troubled by the meeting last week. And the fact that his father had forbidden him to ride out to Boncini. But his friend was right. Now was not the time. He looked at Iason again. "I understand you will be travelling to Valais with Iolaus and Ophelia. Once you return home, we will speak about these matters."

"My lord," Iason bowed.

Cyrus' eyes lingered on Vara a moment longer before turning to Ophelia. "You look beautiful, Ophi."

Ophelia looked at him amused. "I wondered when you'd notice me, but you are forgiven." She kissed his cheek. "It is good to see you."

"And you," Cyrus nodded, "I almost gave up hope of Iolaus ever settling down. You owe me a dance later."

Ophelia curtsied. "I will be honored."

...

Darius wrapped his arm protectively around his wife and son and kissed both of them on the forehead. They could hear Zara's furious screams all the way down the hall.

When the messages had come to him regarding Zara's plans, he hadn't wanted to believe them at first. Of course he knew she hated him and that she bore a grudge, but he never would have thought her capable or harming a defenseless child. But the messages were cohesive with one another. The soldier Zara had tried to persuade, the harem girl, the woman in the market that had received an odd request, one of his own riders. Their stories were all in accordance.

Torcan had been right to advise him to keep a close watch on her.

"What are you going to do now?" Elora asked softly. She still shivered as she thought about how close she had come to danger, how this woman had almost succeeded in harming her child. How could any woman do that to a child?

"She will be dealt with," Darius said coldly, "it is none of your concern."

Elora narrowed her eyes at him. "Not my concern?! She tried to murder my child!"

Darius, too, glared. "And I said she will be dealt with. It is my child too. My heir. She will pay for her crimes with her life. Is that what you want to hear? Should I tell you how it will be done too?"

Elora paled and rocked the child in her arms. "That won't be necessary, thank you," she said in a small voice. She suddenly felt nauseous. For a moment she had forgotten her husband could have a temper. She wouldn't ever want to get on his bad side.

"Then don't ask anymore," Darius answered briskly. He took a deep breath and fought to remain calm. He needed to remember it wasn't Elora he was angry with. "I believe she acted alone, but I am investigating the matter. If she had any accomplices, we will weed them out. No harm will come to you or our son, I swear it."

"I know that," Elora said softly. He would do anything to protect his heir, as would she. "Will you finally name him then?" she asked.

Darius looked at his son, safely in his mother's arms, so unaware of the machinations going on around him. "Yes," he said, "I will name him."

...

"Are you alright?" Iason asked softly once they were alone. He wasn't blind to the looks Cyrus had been given Vara all day. And he knew there wasn't much he could do. Vara was still Cyrus' adopted sister. It was only natural he would approach her on formal occasions. Objecting against it would only start up the rumors again. Besides, no matter Cyrus' intentions, he and Vara were close friends. It would be wrong to try and keep them apart completely. He trusted Vara. She had refused Cyrus' advances more than once.

That didn't mean it didn't affect her and he hates seeing her hurt.

Vara smiled weakly. She couldn't deny she still had lingering feelings for Cyrus, even if they did seem less profound than they used to be. Part of it was because of Iason. And she assumed it had to do with the distance as well.

It seemed for Cyrus not much had changed and that bothered her more than her own emotions. "I'm fine," she assured Iason, "we will be leaving in the morning. It will be nice to see your family again."

Iason wrapped his arms around her and planted a kiss in her hair. "I think you won Dimitris over last time. He was convinced I was forced to marry you."

Vara looked at him innocently. "You mean you weren't?" she teased.

Iason tilted his head in thought. "Happily forced perhaps."

Vara gasped and pushed against his chest with an undignified look on her face.

Iason chuckled and reeled her back in, wrapping both his arms tightly around her. "I said happily."

Vara pouted. "I heard forced."

He shook his head amused. "Of course you would. I told you I had no regrets." His expression turned serious. "I just don't like seeing you hurt."

Vara smiled at him sadly. "I told you I'm fine. I can handle seeing Cyrus. I'm happy with you. I'm sorry he is giving you such a hard time. He can be so stubborn."

And jealous, Iason noted to himself, and possessive. He shrugged lightly. "His father is still our landlord I suppose. He is entitled to demand reports and discuss defenses. And no matter my current position, I am still a soldier and he is my superior." He grinned. "However, he didn't mention any timeframe in which we were to return to Boncini. The estate will run itself, the troops will hold the border and the captain of the guard knows where to find us in case of emergency. We can hide with my family for as long as you like."

Vara laughed too. "I'd like that," she said content while seeking the comfort of Iason's arms again. "I'd like that very much."