"I am not wrapped around his finger." She jumped up and headed toward the door. "And I am not blind and naive."

"Stay away from him," I demanded to her retreating back.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do." Winnie whirled around, her eyes flashing with anger. "You have the right to give me orders when it comes to business matters, but not when it's my personal life. What I do in my personal life is none of your business so stay out of it." She jerked open the door.

"Don't walk out that door," I growled. "I'm not done with you yet."

"Well that's too damn bad because I'm done with you." She left the room, slamming the door behind her. A picture fell off the wall and hit the floor. The glass broke, shards flying everywhere. I swore beneath my breath.

It took a better part of an hour before I was calm enough to talk to Winnie. Leaving my office, I stepped into the reception area. She was at her desk talking on the phone. I moved toward her. As I drew near she glanced in my direction and then quickly looked away. I stopped by her desk and waited for her to finish her call.

Winnie hung up the phone, a few minutes later. I waited for her to acknowledge my presence. When she didn't I let out a weary sigh and perched on the corner of her desk. "I'm calm now, Winnie. Do you think we can try again?"

After several tense filled seconds of silence, she turned her head and gazed at me. "Do you think you can keep from ordering me around?"

I smiled weakly. She was a feisty little thing. Heaven help me, but I liked that about her. "I promise I will be on my best behavior. Can we try again, please?"

"Since you said please." Winnie sat back in her chair and gave me her full attention.

"I'm sorry for ordering you around. You were right when you said your personal life was none of my business." I paused for a moment while I gathered my thoughts. "Your well-being matters to me. When someone takes advantage of your kind nature it doesn't sit well with me."

"I appreciate your concern," she said softly, "but it's not needed. I can take care of myself." She cleared her throat. "How-how long has your brother been in prison?"

"Eight months," I answered coldly. "He's going to be spending the rest of his life in a cell."

"I'm sorry." Winnie propped her elbow on the armrest of her chair and rested her chin in her hand. "It must be difficult for you and your family."

"Difficult isn't the word I would use to describe the situation." I crossed my arms and stared at the carpet. "Mark has destroyed our family. He thinks it's amusing when our mother and father argue about who's to blame for the way he turned out. I try to stay out of their arguments, but-"

"They keep pulling you in," she guessed.

"My mother more than my father." I shook my head. "She's convinced that Mark is innocent. Nothing I or anyone else says will change her mind. It doesn't help that Mark keeps claiming he was framed. I talked with the police. They showed me the evidence they had. There is no doubt whatsoever. He's guilty."

"Maybe deep down your mother knows he's guilty," Winnie said. "She just doesn't want to admit that her own child is capable of something so vicious. I couldn't begin to understand what she must be going through. Or what you and your father are going through. It's a mess all around."

"Tell me something I don't know." A twinge of pain suddenly hit me between the eyes and I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Will you do me a favor?"

"It depends on what the favor is," she responded.

"It was wrong of me to order you to stay away from Mark." I fixed my eyes on her. "If you want to continue to visit him that's your business. Just do me a favor and be careful. Keep your guard up and don't let him get to you. He has that lost little boy look down cold. I don't want him sucking you in."

"In light of what you just told me, I don't know if I want to see him anymore." Winnie rubbed the back of her neck. "I need time to think on it." She grimaced at me. "I owe you an apology too. I'm sorry for losing my temper and for storming out of your office."

"And for breaking a picture on my wall," I added.

Her eyes grew wide. "I b-broke a picture?"

I grinned. "You slammed the door hard enough the windows rattled."

To my amusement Winnie's face turned bright red. "I - I'm sorry. I'll clean up the mess and I'll pay for the picture."

"I already cleaned it up and you owe me nothing."

"Yes, I-"

"Winnie," I cut in gently. "Don't worry about it."

"Alright." Winnie stood and placed her hands on the back of the chair. "I have some errands to run. Do you need anything before I go?"

"No," I told her.

She nodded. "Then I will see you later."

She left and I went back to my office.