and yet, here he was.

(doyoung couldn't deny that he'd had a lot more thoughts regarding jaehyun and all the different ways the hockey player could make him feel, but for the moment he was content with jaehyun at his side, holding his hand like nothing else mattered in the world. besides, thinking such thoughts made doyoung's cheeks burst into flame, and he was much too nervous to ever try any of them out anyway.)

"phonny-hyung, please can you buy me a hotdog?"

mark's voice drew doyoung out of his thoughts, and he quickly put them to the back of his mind to concentrate on the firework display and jaehyun's hand holding his so tightly.

"markie," ten sighed, rolling his eyes at the freshman who sat beside him, "the display is literally about to start. i'll buy you one later, okay?"

mark mulled over this for a second and then shook his head. "you know what? i'm not a kid, i'll go buy one myself."

he jumped to his feet in search of the hotdog stand, but ten just grabbed his hand and pulled him back down into his seat. "don't be stupid, i said i'll buy you one later," he told him, "just sit down and wait a few minutes for the display to start."

"you're not my mom," mark muttered hotly, folding his arms across his chest.

"god, you've been in such a pissy mood this week," ten remarked, his tone becoming more exasperated the longer the argument went on, "going through puberty again?"

"as if you've even made an effort to hang out with me this week," mark shot back, barely looking at the older thai boy.

"that's not my fault!" ten spluttered, "you know i've been really busy working on-"

"your art assignment with taeyong," mark finished with a sour expression, "i fucking know, okay? and if you think i've been in a pissy mood all week, then maybe you should've invited taeyong to see the fireworks with you instead!"

with that outburst, he stood up again and tried to storm off, only to walk straight into johnny - who was followed closely by taeil in a fluffy white coat with ears.

"hey, what's going on?" johnny frowned, pushing mark gently back into his seat, "where are you off to? the display's about to start."

so mark was forced to sit back down next to ten, squished so close their thighs touched, refusing to look at him until the display began. taeil sat on his other side, and johnny on the other side of taeil, and yuta and sicheng had found seats in the row in front. jaehyun was on the other side of ten with doyoung next to him, peacefully ignoring the war that seemed to have been declared between thailand and canada right beside them.

"stop shoving your shoulder into me," ten muttered under his breath, shoving the freshman back.

"says you! stop digging your elbows in, hyung, they're sharp-"

"uh... why are you guys fighting exactly...?" taeil spoke up hesitantly from where he sat beside mark.

mark jumped a little at the sound of the older's voice and his cheeks flushed red with anger. "it's nothing," he grumbled quietly, "he's just been ignoring me all week and then making out as if it's my fault he prefers taeyong-hyung to me!"

taeil's heart dropped at the word taeyong. just his name filled him with a weird sort of nervous energy.

"that is such a load of bullshit, mark lee, and you know it," ten spat.

"a-are you close friends with t-taeyong?" taeil stuttered out in ten's direction.

his voice faded out as an arm slipped around his waist and a hand rested itself on his hip. taeil looked up at johnny, and just the look was a question in itself - an enquiry about the reasoning for the warmth around his hips, as johnny's hand had slipped under the fluffy bear jacket to contain all of the heat inside it.