Chapter 38: Cheese

"Sure, yeah, uh... Let's go upstairs." He said quickly. He glanced at the house and gestured for me to begin walking.

I did so, and he followed me. I had no problem finding the stairs. We walked upstairs and I waited for him to lead the way. We got into one of the rooms, which I guessed was his parents' bedroom.

He sat down on the bed and patted beside him for me to sit down. I shook my head and stood there. I needed to move, I was nervous. And he clearly needed to sit down, I doubted he could hold an entire conversation standing up.

"I thought you would try and talk to me today." Martina, you came here to fix things, not to add fuel to the fire.

"I know. I was dying to call you but I didn't want to be annoying. I wanted you to call me when you felt ready." He took a deep breath. He was fidgeting with the strings on his hoodie but his gaze was fixed on me. He looked like a little kid with innocent eyes. And the fact that he was super drunk didn't make him look any more mature.

"You can't be annoying Ace." I took a step closer. I let out a deep breath closing my eyes and opened them again. "I'm sorry. I get really flustered with this topic, but I shouldn't have treated you like that yesterday-"

"No, it was my fault." He shook his head slowly. "I know I'm no one to control you, I just worry about you. I don't want you to suffer." His eyes searched my face.

"I know you care about me, and I know I have to let people help me. It's just..." I looked down and stared at him again. "Really difficult for me."

"I know babe, I know." He brought his hands forward and intertwined his fingers with mine. He pulled me closer opening his legs and placing me between them. "I promise I'll stop watching what you eat and I'll stop asking-"

I shook my head with a frown, my fingers roaming his chest. "No. I don't mind if you do it. If it's to help me I understand that you do it. I can't keep doing this to my body." I said meeting his eyes.

He bit his lip shaking his head. "You're too good to be struggling with this, Martina." His eyes were watery looking at me.

I gave him a little smile and ran my hand through his hair, removing it from his forehead. "And you're too good to have to put up with me."

"What can I say, I'm an angel." One of the corner of his lips curled up into a smile. I let out a chuckle. His hands now on the back of my legs. He got serious again and stared into my eyes. "But seriously, don't say I have to put up with you, because I don't. I want to be with you and you have to stop believing you're not good enough for this."

I gave him a smile.

He looked at me for a moment. He put his arms around me and rested his head on my stomach. "God, I wish you could see yourself the way I do." I stroked his hair and sighed biting my lips. "I've missed you."

I let out a little laugh. "It's been only a day, Ace."

"I know. But I've missed you." He said glancing up at me, his chin placed on my stomach.

"I've missed you too." I smiled broadly again. He had the ability to make me forget about everything and make me smile in a matter of seconds.

He clenched his jaw, got up quickly and grabbed my cheeks with his hands. His eyes studying my face. "God, you're so beautiful." He leaned down and gave me a quick kiss. "And smart." He kissed me again. "And funny." He was about to kiss me again when I pulled apart laughing.

"Ace, you taste like whiskey."

He ran a hand along his face. "I know. I drank too much." He was struggling to keep his eyes open. I was debating now if talking to him while he was this drunk had been a good idea. "We should have a drink together!" He said excitedly. "Do you wanna stay?"