Chapter 10: Red code

"Martina, you've been on that spot for about five minutes. I think you can stare at your reflection in the counter now."

"I know, but I want my mother to think that we take care of the apartment."

"Martina, she's your mother. She already knows you're a fucking mess." Chuckled Sarah.

"Ha, ha." I said rolling my eyes.

"Seriously, Martina, we've been cleaning for two hours, stop."

"Okay." I sighed and sat down next to her on a stool.

"What time were they arriv-"

The doorbell rang. I stood up quickly.

"I'm a fucking witch." Sarah grinned with satisfaction and came beside me. We went to the door and I opened it.

Hola, mi vida!" Yelled my mom as she saw me and gave me a hug.

"Hi, mamá!" I said through her embrace.

When she pulled away, I saw that not only was my dad there, but my little brother. I hugged my dad as my mom did the same with Sarah and then my brother.

"How are you, pequeño?"

"Don't even try and talk to him, he's not in a good mood today." Said my mom inspecting the apartment. I closed the door and walked next to them.

"Why? But I'm her favourite sister, of course he would talk to me, right Hugo?" I asked looking at him hopefully.

"You're the only one I have." He muttered in a boring tone.

I rolled my eyes at him and sighed amusedly. "Teenagers."

We talked for a bit about everything. My mom being more excited about Sarah and her boyfriend than about my life.

My dad made reservation at a really cute restaurant in the city. We had a table at the terrace. It was beautiful, with lots of plants and flowers. It was sunny today, so it was really nice outside.

Sarah came with us despite all her efforts to stay at home. She said she didn't want to ruin the family day, but my parents and I insisted. I wouldn't know if my brother cared, he was in that phase where everything was embarrassing and he didn't want people to know we were related.

The waitress came with our food. I ordered the salmon. My family was talking as loud as usual. No matter how many years we'd been in this country, they would not get used to speak lowly.

My mom glanced at me several times and I knew perfectly that glare.

"Don't look at me like that." I said putting the fork inside my mouth.

"You're thinner." Her expression was serious as her eyes travelled my face and torso.

"I know, I already told you." I said annoyed.

"Lola, not here." Warned my dad touching her arm.

"Vale." She sighed.

They continued talking. My dad, as a good lawyer that he was, interrogated Sarah as if they were on a trial. I glanced at my phone on my lap. I had a text, I went through it, my parents much occupied with Sarah to notice.

you look good today

I smiled.

you haven't seen me

i know, but I'm sure you look good

I smiled wider.

"Who is it?" Asked my mom, surprisingly intrigued, her head cocked as she ate. I thought she would tell me off.