Ch. 29

Her mother continued to rub her back, whispering soothing nothings into her ear as Laila tried to compose herself. It was all so much to bear. When they pulled apart, she met her father's sad gaze.

"I don't know whether to be happy or not." He admitted, his voice cracking. "I'm so glad you remember now. It was hurting you before, not being able to. You were so lost."

Laila smiled at him lovingly. "I'm happy, baba."

"How much do you remember?" Her mother asked, curiously. "You kept waking up and murmuring things from before, so we kind of guessed it. But how much?"

"I'm not sure." Laila frowned. "Some things are still a bit hazy. I know what they are, but I also don't. I remember a lot though. I remember Hamza." She bit her lip. "I remember being married to him. I remember the accident. And everything after it, too. It was like witnessing a dream. A really bad dream."

Her father nodded. "You've been through a lot. We were so afraid when Deena called us, telling us that you fainted while crossing the street. Apparently, a car driving towards you and you panicked and froze. There was no accident, and no one was hurt. Alhamdulilah."

"Alhamdulillah," her mother voiced her agreement.

"How long have I been out of it?" Laila asked, curiously. 

"Only a day."

Laila struggled to sit up, the headache still present. "And where's Deena now?"

Her mother looked down to her watch. "She left a few hours ago. But I can tell her you woke up now."

"I'll call her," Laila looked around for her purse. "Where's my phone?"

"It seemed to have dropped from your purse when you fell." Her father sighed. "In the rush of the moment, we didn't think to look. Deena went back to the street later but didn't find anything."

"We'll get you a new one." Her mother brightly interjected. "Don't worry."

After fussing over her for a few more minutes, her parents left to allow her to relax. Laila waited until the door ticked closed before she let the tears loose. They poured down her cheeks so easily, as if her eyes were leaky faucets. She laid back, curling into a tight ball and crying into her blanket as the memories swarmed around in her head. All the moments replayed vividly on a loop. She couldn't turn them off. 

It was hard to believe everything that had happened to her that year. 

She took a week off work per her mother's command. To be honest, she would have preferred working. It occupied her, so she didn't have too many opportunities to wander too far in her mind. It became a dangerous place, with too many shadowed corners whispering to her.

It all led back to Hamza.

She had just finished praying Asr when the doorbell sounded. She jumped to her feet and jogged down the stairs, welcoming any distraction at that point. She opened the door and was delighted to see Deena.

"Hi!" She pulled her in for a hug. "I've missed you!"

"That's the most enthusiastic a person has ever been to see me." Deena chuckled, stepping into the house. The girls made their way into the kitchen.

"I'm so relieved I can start working again tomorrow." Laila sighed. "I know my mother means well, but I need to get out of the house."

"I'm relieved too. It's so boring without you."

They chatted while making milkshakes, their favorite snack. When they finished, Laila threw in a bag of cookies then they made their way upstairs into her bedroom. Once comfortable on her bed, Deena pulled out an envelope from her bag. She eyed Laila, a wary expression on her face.

"I found this after I moved. I was unpacking some boxes and came across it." She played with the envelope. "I wasn't sure what to do with it. But I think you should have it."

Laila curiously peered into her friend's hands. "What is it?"

Without saying another word, Deena handed it to her. Laila placed her cup on the ground. 

It felt thin in Laila's grasp, as if it were empty. Without wasting another second, she tore past the seal to reveal... a photo.

Her breath hitched, a slight gasp. It was Hamza. Her and Hamza. He had his arm around her shoulder, a cheeky grin on his face as he eyed the camera. She was looking up at him, not bothering to hide the adoration in her eyes. Laila remembered the moment that was caught in the photograph. They had just gotten back from their honeymoon and were at her parents' house. She was still on a high from their wedding and couldn't get enough to him. Her mother had taken the picture.

"How..." her voice faded. "How did this end up with you?"

Deena shrugged. "I have no idea, actually. Are you alright?"

Laila glanced up and forced a smile on her face. "I'm fine." Her voice was filled with emotion. "It's just- I wish I could rewind. We were so good together, Deena. No one else will ever be as perfect to me."

"Don't say that, Laila. You guys could work things out!"

Laila looked back down at the photo. She touched the plastic, her fingers trailing down Hamza's face. "I don't think so. I ruined it. And now he's gone. No one knows where he is." Her hands trembled. "Or if he's even okay."

Deena reached out and hugged her friend, wishing she could comfort her more but not knowing how. "Everything will be alright. Have faith in Allah."

Laila pulled back after a moment. She slipped the picture into the pocket of her prayer dress. "I need some fresh air. I'm going to go for a walk."

"Want me to tag along?"

"No." Laila shook her head. "I'd rather be alone."

"Okay, I'll walk out with you to my car then." Deena stood up, taking Laila's hand in hers.

They walked downstairs towhere they met her mother reading in the living room. It took some convincing,but 10 minutes later, Laila was outside, waving goodbye to her friend as shedrove away. Feeling her mother's eyes on her from the window, Laila started to walk along the grass, down along the quiet neighborhood. 

Her mother had forced her to take her father's phone with her, in case of an emergency. Laila chuckled at her mother's protectiveness. Above her, the clouds started to grow heavy. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the picture Deena gave her. Warmth filled her chest when her gaze landed on his smile. A droplet of rain fell on it, distorting his white teeth. She wiped it away, allowing her finger to linger on his lips.

"I miss you." She whispered. "Please come home."

A low rumble of thunder sounded above her just as the phone started to ring. Laila reached into her pocket with her free hand. She glanced at the blinking screen. It was her mother. Laila frowned, slightly annoyed. It had only been 10 minutes since she left the house. Why was she calling already?

Sighing, Laila answered and brought the phone up to her ear. "Yes, mama?"

The rain started to pour heavier, pelting her head and shoulders. The dirt beneath her shoes quickly softened where she stood, frozen in her tracks. Her eyes were wide, unblinking, staring ahead. The two words that came out of her mother's mouth had shocked her to her core. She couldn't believe it. 

"It's Hamza."

-------

A/N: Dun dun duuuunn. Hope you're getting excited! Don't forget to vote :)