Ch. 12

Hamza drummed his fingers against the steering wheel, humming under his breath. He needed to distract himself and calm his nerves. He felt like a teenager again, heart racing and palms sweaty. All over a girl. 

He was going to see Laila again.

That morning, he made sure to wake up extra early and thoroughly clean the entire house. For the first time since the accident, it almost felt like home again. Even Tabby seemed to sense something in the air and kept following him around, meowing constantly. For once, the cat didn't utterly despise Hamza. 

"Momma's coming home," Hamza had whispered, excitedly. "She's finally coming home. I can't wait."

But now, sitting there merely feet away from where his beloved would emerge, he felt like he wasn't ready. They hadn't seen each other nor spoken much the entire week, despite how much it killed him. He wanted to give her time... and space. He regretted how he acted at the restaurant and wanted to tread carefully, lest risk losing her all together. Again.

Just as he was considering going to the door, she appeared. Like the sun shining through the fog of a storm. He could only stare at her, captivated. Everything else disappeared, meshed into one irrelevant blur around her halo. She was almost too beautiful. He watched her walk towards his car, her head shyly bowed, but not enough to hide the hint of a smile that teased her lips. He was overwhelmed with the desire to run towards her and engulf her in his arms. He wanted to lift her off the ground and spin around.

"Hi," Hamza said when Laila sat down in the passenger seat. He couldn't help himself; he leaned towards her and laid his arm across her shoulders in a side-hug, giving her a quick squeeze. "I've missed you."

Laila's breath caught in her throat at the sudden contact. She loved how warm and strong he felt. Albeit dismayed at how quickly he returned to his seat, Laila flashed him a smile. "Hi. Me too."

"Are you ready?"

She couldn't help but giggle at the obvious excitement in his voice. "I sure am. I can't wait."

He backed out of the driveway, struggling to keep his eyes on the road. "You look amazing, by the way."

He heard her squeal lightly as she covered her face in embarrassment. Some things don't change, he thought to himself, chuckling at her reaction. He reached into his pocket and revealed the camera from before. "Quick picture?" He asked, cheekily.

Laila rolled her eyes playfully. "I don't think I have a choice."

He lifted the camera and angled it to catch Laila in the frame. She brought up her hands, making two peace signs, and puckered at the viewfinder. They both froze momentarily, holding the pose as the flash lighted. She laughed awkwardly after, slightly nervous about the fact that she had no idea how she looked in any of these pictures. He thanked her, putting the camera away and drove out of the neighborhood.

"So, I feel like I have to remind you that... we have a cat." He spoke up at the red light.

"Really?" Laila jumped around in her seat, facing him. "That's awesome! Girl or boy?"

Rolling his eyes, Hamza replied. "A grouchy old man."

"What's his name?"

"Tabby."

"Ugh, I love cats. I can't wait to meet him! Tell me more, how did you-" she paused for a split second. "Umm, how did we get him?"

For the remainder of the ride, Hamza told her the story. She listened intently, gasping at certain parts, and giggling at others. By the time they pulled up into the one-story grey house, Laila had fallen head over heels for Tabby.