Opinicus

Artist ~ Quisum on Deviantart

OPINICUS

(oh-pin-ee-cuss)

Historical Context:
The opinicus is a variation or hybrid of a griffin. Originally, when a griffin was painted on a coat of arms, they were referred to as the opinicus, but there was no reason found as to why. Fantasy writers these days split the opinicus and griffin into two creatures. Furthermore, griffins (and opinicus') are from Greek mythology.

Height: ≈ 5-6 feet
Weight: ≈ 620 pounds
Life-span: ≈ 14-20 years
Attack: 70 // sharp claws and beak that are strong.
Armour: 20 // their fur and feathers offer little protection.
Defence: 50 // they're fast and agile creatures, which makes for a fast get away.
Stealth: 50 // given their large size, they aren't masters of stealth. However, they can stay still for a considerable amount of time, blurring into their surroundings.
Diet: omnivore // they mainly hunt small mammals, but will sometimes eat berries and hard vegetables.
Habitat: varies // these creatures can live in desert like places, woodlands, forests or civilised areas.

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Artist ~ Hagge

Sex:
The female opinicus is known as a hen, and the male opinicus is known as a tiercel. Their cousins, griffins and hippogriffs, also follow the same names for their genders. Their offspring is known as fledglings.

Appearance:
The opinicus is easily described as half eagle, half lion. It has the body of lion, including four feline-like legs and paws, unlike the griffin. It also has a lion-like tail, however it is longer and has a tuft of fur on the end. Opinicus's have the head of an eagle and wings that sit on the shoulder blades. The head, wings, chest and part of its back are covered in furthers, however the rest is covered in furs. The colours of on opinicus rage between browns, golds, yellows, whites and blacks.

Mating:
The opinicus will mate for life. They reach a point in life where mating becomes important to them. When they reach that point, the male opinicus sorts out the perfect mate, and the female must wait. Due to the fact that they become mates for life, the opinicus will have one or two clutches of eggs within a life time. Most commonly, the hen will only produce one clutch with the quantity of up to six eggs. The stronger and more healthier hens can produce a second clutch.

 The stronger and more healthier hens can produce a second clutch

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Artist ~ Stefan Kopinski

Hunting:
Hens and tiercels both hunt and they teach their fledglings hunting skills. The opinicus can be categorised as an omnivore, but their diet mainly consists of meat. These creatures will resort to berries and harder vegetables. They prefer meat and usually hunt for smaller mammals. The opinicus' will usually hunt in pairs unless teaching their offspring how to hunt.

Temperament:
Opinicus' are just large cats, to put it simply. Having the body of a lion, their mannerisms are very similiar. However, considering they are half eagle, it clashes. The opinicus can be tamed and become a great, loyal, pet. But they're hard to gain the focus of if they aren't tamed as a fledgling, and can be incredibly vicious in the wild. They're protective and aggressive when it comes to their territory or family.

Rarity:
These creatures aren't know for rare factors. There are different texts where an opinicus is bigger and stronger (titan-like) compared to others, but there is little record of that. The only other notable detail about the opinicus is that it is the cousin to the griffin and the hippogriff, which are creatures that are all half eagle.

Artist ~ Paul Canavan

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Artist ~ Paul Canavan