Twenty-Four

"I'm not sending you another picture." I groaned over the phone as Miranda begged for me to send her the tenth photo of my outfit. I looked in the mirror over the long sleeve red dress. It hugged my curves perfectly, making me look like I actually had assets. My heart was racing, I tried to look my best, but that was hard when you didn't know who you were dressing for. My long brown hair was draping over my shoulders in loose curls, the one side pulled and twisted tied neatly behind my head.

My lips were covered in a dark red lipstick to match my dress, but that was all I wore for makeup. I couldn't believe the day was finally here. I was finally going to meet my Secret Santa. After all the wonderful gifts he had given me. I reached for the bottle of perfume I had received the night before. Spritzing a little bit of the liquid before placing it back on the counter.

I wondered which man it would be. Would it be Kyle, Eric, Jonathan? My mind raced with all the opportunities. Would I be happy with the date, would it be decorated nicely or would it be an awkward encounter?

"Earth to Amber..." I heard Miranda on the other end of the phone. I shook my head not realizing I had zoned out.

"Sorry, i'm listening."

"Are you okay? You seem really out of it." Miranda questioned, very obvious concern in her voice. I nodded quickly realizing she couldn't see that.

"Yes, hey I got to go though. I don't want to be late. I will send you pictures if I can." I mumbled before quickly hanging the phone up. I took a seat in my makeup chair. My head fell to the desk as I let out a muffled scream into the wood. I was freaking out. I didn't do well with surprises and right now I had no clue what I was walking into.

I raised my head looking over at the clock. It was half an hour past four. I needed to get heading to the park if I wanted to be there on time. My phone was blowing up with angry texts from Miranda warning me not to ever hang up on her like that again. I ignored them but my phone kept buzzing. I placed it on silent before heading out of my apartment. I decided to hail a cab instead of walking. Once I was out of my building I took the needed steps to the edge of the sidewalk throwing my hand in the air, waiving for a cab. Thankfully one pulled over almost immediately. I jumped in, kicking my shoes off before closing the door behind me. Music played softly over the stereo as I told him where I needed to go.

My head was resting against the window as I watched all the people buzzing around. The building passing by in the stop and go traffic. I watched the parents trying to keep track of their kids in the crowds. All the families holding hands and they left the Christmas services at the church. I mindlessly hummed the tune trying to focus on anything other than the growing pit in my stomach. I hadn't realized how nervous I was. I should have ate before I left so I didn't feel so sick. I wasn't sure what we were doing. Would he have food?

Who was he?

The cab driver yanked to the side of the road forcing me to nearly bash my head against the window. I let out a sigh handing him money for the ride. Hopping out of the car I closed the door behind me. I stopped on the side of the road looking up at the gates in front of me. The beautiful metal archway read 'Central Park'. I took a few steps forward before pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the time.

4:55pm

I walked down the pathway slowly towards the fountain as I contemplated if I should empty my already starved stomach in the bushes or not. My nerves had me walking at such a snail's pace, I wasn't sure if I would make it another twenty feet in the next five minutes.

I tried to remind myself to breathe. I felt like I was going to pass out from the lack of oxygen in my body, maybe it was lack of food. Whatever it was it wasn't good. I took a few more steps looking around the park. There wasn't a sign of anything. I began to panic that I was in the wrong spot. I pulled the note out of my pocket reading over it once more.