Eleven

Banner By: solerdani

----------------------------------------

Chapter 11

---------------------------------------- 

"Are you almost ready to go?" I asked, peaking my head in Miranda's cubicle. She turned around quickly closing out of the browser she was looking at, her face turning bright red. "Were you seriously looking at puppy pictures again?" I whispered so no one would be able to hear. She quickly nodded her head in embarrassment before shutting her computer down completely.

"I've been done for an hour and you know.... They are just too cute." She whispered back looking around the office sneakily. "I can't help myself." We both broke away from our facade to laugh. I shut my own computer off as well before gathering my things.

"Hey Eric, can you let Mrs. Landing know Miranda and I left if you see her?" I smiled at the handsome guy sitting across from me. He shot up from his seat as if I had startled him. He nodded his head quickly slipping a small paper under his keyboard. I decided not to question it as Miranda and I were going to be late if we didn't hurry up.

"Yeah, sure thing. Mrs. Landing will be informed." He smiled as his eyes held my gaze. I nodded my head.

"Okay thanks." Miranda and I turned to leave the office building. We had to hurry if we wanted to get to the soup kitchen on time. I walked as fast as I could weaving through other employees as I ran for the elevator, pressing the button what felt like a thousand times.

"Amber, why are you in such a rush? It's the soup kitchen I'm sure they will let us still volunteer even if we show up a little late, they need the help." Miranda coaxed as she grabbed my arm to slow me down. Finally once the elevator doors opened and we were safely inside I was able to look at her. I watched her closely as she pulled out the tube of lipstick tucked away neatly in her purse.

"I know they will but I don't want to be late. My mother used to get so mad if we showed up late, because to her, it meant we thought we were better than the homeless." My mother's words echoed through my head as I realized I had started to sound like her. Miranda wasn't there, she never used to go with me until a few years ago when my parents had passed away.

"Okay, I'm sorry you're right." Miranda smiled and I shot her a quick look.

"You have lipstick on your teeth." I chuckled slightly trying to lighten to mood. Quickly Miranda shot to the walls of the elevator trying to use their reflective service as a mirror.

"Better?" She clenched her teeth together pulling her lips back like a wild dog. I nodded my head.

"Yes, that is better." The bell dinged and the door opened as Miranda and I rushed out onto the busy streets of New York. Lucky for us the soup kitchen was only a couple blocks away. We walked in silence for a while with nothing but the sound of our boots against the snow. I hated how busy this place was. Whenever it snowed, the snow was all trampled before you could even enjoy the beauty of it plastered across the streets and sidewalks. I wanted to one day see it all perfect and untouched.

"Look we'll be right on time." Miranda gasped slightly out of breathe from our heavy walking.

"Thank you for coming, I really appreciate not having to do this alone." I thought back to the last time my mother was able to come. She loved helping out and it made her feel more sane. It was something I could do to feel close to her. Especially around this time of year when all I wanted was my family back.

We entered the dingy building, the fresh aroma of potato stew filling our nostrils. Most the people who worked here knew me so it was easy to get checked in. Before Miranda could even complain about something Barbra had done at work today we were in our white aprons and standing in line handing out warm bowls of soup. We did this for hours listening to people's stories and wishing them a wonderful Christmas.

It felt silly to wish them well for the holidays as these people had literally nothing. Nothing but the piping hot bowl of soup I was handing them. I knew why my mother always made our little family come, it was to keep us humble. To keep our heads on straight so we didn't end up rich and snotty.

My mother feared that when I became a lawyer I was going to throw my life away, never get married, and worry to much about just making money. I had tried carefully to not let myself get too wrapped up in that. I didn't want to end up like the countless couples entering our office to file for divorce. I wanted to be happy and live my life to the fullest potential. That's why coming here was always so important to me. It was a reminder.

"Okay I think that was the last one." Miranda said as the line had come to an abrupt halt. We stood there for a few moments before gathering all the extra dishes and taking them back to wash them. Other workers would take care of the food as they would store it until tomorrow's dinner. Miranda and I went to work on cleaning all the dishes brought back to us.

"Amber Lott." I heard a voice call out. I quickly turned around to see a red headed girl who I thought was named Victoria running my way. "Are you Amber?" She smiled holding a tiny black box in her hand.

"Yeah that's me." Miranda and I both shot the girl a weird look before she abruptly handed me the box.

"Oh and one more thing." She reached in her pocket to hand me a little envelope. "Some guy brought this by mid rush for you. He said it was important that you got it."

"Did you see what he looked like?" I questioned hoping to get answer on who the mysterious guy was. How did Jonathan know I was here? I'd never told him this is where I would go before Christmas. Plus I always came on different days every year.

"I can't tell you that honey, just open it." Victoria pretends to zip her lips before rushing away to help out wherever she was needed.

"Hurry up and open it!" Miranda nearly screamed causing me to jump at the sudden squeal.

"I am I am!" I shouted back ripping the ugly yellow gloves of my hand. Inside the box was the most beautiful necklace in the shape of an 'A'. A tiny little jewel sat on the edge of it. I couldn't help but smile as my stomach dropped. Butterflies were beginning to fill every empty space inside my body. It was time to read the card. I quickly ripped the envelope open, Miranda hovering over my shoulder.

Day 6

You warm my heart like a mother's love

Your smile as pretty as a white dove

I really need to stop trying to rhyme

It will save us both some time ;)

I'm sorry for always writing you such cheesy notes. 
I'm just not sure how to tell you how I feel.

I hope this necklace makes you smile.

Just know tomorrow will be much better.

Your Secret Santa