One

Banner By: solerdani

  ---------------------------------------- 

Chapter 1

---------------------------------------- 

"Miranda, my keyboard won't work again!" I yell over the dull grey cubicle wall that separates me from my friend, typing away at my keyboard slamming my finger down repeatedly on the 't' button.

Frustrated, I push myself away from the computer. Miranda peeps her head around the corner, her dark brown hair pulled back in a ponytail. She removes herself from her chair and enters my cubicle. Reaching for the keyboard, she picks it up swiftly and violently begins to bash it against the counter. I can't help but laugh as I watched her act like a psycho pulling away at the tangled plugs.

"Well crap, Amber... I just do not know." Sarcastically placing her hands on her hips, flawlessly mocking the I.T. workers in our building. She leans forward to look at the computer, pretending to push her imaginary glasses up her nose.

"I see Miranda, well did you try shutting it off and turning it back on?" I mocked in a my manliest man voice, throwing my hands on my hips as well. I always enjoyed our little back and forth banter at other people's expense. It was nice having someone I could joke with during stressful times at the office.

"Ya'know, I never really thought about that... maybe I'll just go shut my keyboard off right now sir. It couldn't be that it just died because it's older than dirt!" She turned on her heel as if to leave the cubicle. We both burst into a fit of laughter while the rest of our co-workers stared at us in contempt.

"Seriously though, maybe you should just go buy yourself a new one for Christmas." She disappeared for a moment to grab her swivel chair and planted herself in it , moving it next to mine. I rolled my eyes just thinking how useless our I.T. workers were. If you needed something fixed around here you might as well go buy a new one yourself.

"Christmas is twelve days away, all of the good keyboards are probably gone by now." I say in a whiny little girl voice.

An irritating "SHHH!" was suddenly heard from around the corner. Miranda perked up above the cubicles, as this was one of her biggest pet peeves.

"Keep it down Barbra... I'm trying to work." Miranda put way too much emphasis on Barbra. I wanted to smack her for being so rude but I have to admit, Barbra was a scrooge. She was always trying to kill our fun. I chuckled a bit, quietly and to myself, thinking about Miranda and Barbara's pointless feud.

I turned my attention back to my computer, looking at the pile of cords left there by Miranda. My desk was in shambles. I began plugging the pieces back together and testing the machine after everything was back in. The 't' button still didn't work! I shook my head.