Twenty-Two

"Miranda you better be almost done with eating, we have to get you to the airport." I looked down at her plate that was still half full. Maybe we should have came to dinner a little bit earlier so we had more time to eat. She grumbled before shoving some more of the rice into her mouth. 

"You didn't have to come to the airport with me." Miranda said digging for another bite of her food. I rolled my eyes at how silly she was being.

"Of course I had to come with you, I didn't have anything better to do and what happens if your plane crashes and you die, at least I will know that I said goodbye to my friend after spending as much time with her as possible." I teased looking at my empty plate. I was still hungry, my stomach growling to remind me of this fact.

"Okay, do you want to walk to me to the gate then?" Her tone was serious and for a second I could tell if she was joking or not. I nodded my head.

"Of course I do."

Miranda grabbed the black book the waitressed had placed on the table a few minutes ago placing her card in the holder. I shook my head trying to swipe her card from the booklet. "You are not paying for me." She stuck her tongue out before holding the book in the air. The waitress quickly buzzed by picking it up on her way.

"I'm paying for the taxi then." I groaned.

Once Miranda had her card back we finished up rushing out of the restaurant towards the busy streets. Miranda threw her hand in the air shouting like a crazy animal trying to hail a cab. I watched as she knew how to do it better than me. I'd sit on the side of the road for hours with my hand in the air waiting to get noticed. Finally one pulled over to the side of the road and we both hopped in. Miranda told him where we were going and he sped off into the stop and go traffic.

"Have you given the notes any thought?" Miranda picked at her nails, the paint chipping slightly on the end. I shook my head leaning my head against the window.

"No, I have literally no clue who it was. Jonathan never answered my text when I thanked him for the notes. He acted like he had no clue what I was talking about. Kyle is rude, so if it's him I'm going to be mad. Eric hasn't shown any signs that it was him. He is literally the most shy one in the office. I'm beginning to think it's Barbra pulling a prank on me. I'm not sure why I would be her target though, you are the mean one." I thought about everything that had happened the last twelve days. None of the notes gave me any clues. I had busted Jonathan putting a note in my cubicle. The question was, did he write it. Was someone else making him put it there? I couldn't help but think it was Kyle as well. He had acted so weird since I started getting them, like he was trying to throw me off the trail. Eric was never around, there was no way he could know any of that information about me.

"It's Barbra, and I'm going to kill her for getting your hopes up." Miranda griped pretending to punch something.

"Alright, don't be rude." I had to remind her of this way too much. Miranda was an adult and Barbra really didn't do a whole ton. Other than the fact that she talked way too much about her kids, one of them being the one that spilled his hot chocolate on my dress, but that wasn't her fault.

Luckily for Miranda and I we had picked a restaurant offly close to the airport. The taxi pulled up to the curb as Miranda began grabbing her bags. I asked the cab driver to wait as I hopped out with her. Him shouting something about keeping the meter running while he waited. I closed the door ignoring him. I understood I'd have to pay for the time he waited. I gave Miranda a quick hug before helping her gather the rest of her things.

"Have fun in London with your family. Just know I wish I was there. I'm jealous, I could use a vacation." I chuckled. She nodded her head before picking all her stuff up and heading in the direction of the doors.

"I'll call you when I land and send you pictures of all the hot boys. Good luck tell me who it is as soon as you find out." I nodded my head, waving as she walked away. She turned around nearly bumping into a man dressed in a black trenchcoat. He held up a sign with two words written on it.

Amber Lott

"Hey Amber, you have a present." She yelled across the sidewalk pointing at the man standing there alone. He shot her a dirty look before catching on to what she was doing. I began walking towards the man before someone from the airport started shouting at me.

"Ma'am you are not allowed to park here, you and your ride need to move along." She motioned ushering me back to the cab. I tried to sneak around her.

"I just need to see what this man needs miss, I'll be on my way." The man dressed in the dark coat made his way towards us. I was so confused at what was going on but I knew whatever he had I need to get, it would be one step closer to figuring out who was sending me all of these notes. He closed the distance between us handing me the box before the lady forced me into the cab. I tried to mouth a thank you to the man, looking for any detail that told me who he was. I didn't know this man.

As soon as I was back in the cab he sped off down the road. I gave him my address before looking down at the gift in my lap. It was a long box covered in red wrapping paper, a large green bow tied neatly on the top.

"That was weird." The cab driver mumbled. I shot him a glare before looking back down at the present. A note was tied to the ribbon hanging gently on the side. I unfold the paper reading the words very carefully.

Day 11

Central park 5 p.m

By the first fountain you come to

Dress up

I'll meet you there

See you tomorrow.

My heart was pounding in my chest. Tomorrow was the day. This was the note I needed. I was one step closer to finally understanding what had been going on. I removed the bow from the box pulling the lid off to reveal a small bottle of perfume. The bottle was blue like the ocean and the glass was in the shape of a pineapple. I smiled. This must have been my Secret Santa gift. I sprayed a tiny bit on my wrist inhaling the scent. It smelled like ocean air after it rains.

I placed the bottle gently back in the package before replacing the bow. My eyes staring at the note for the rest of the drive to my apartment. I knew I wasn't going to sleep tonight so I decided I might as well just stay up and plan my outfit. It had to be perfect.

Glancing back at the present I had to wonder... how did he know it was my favorite perfume.