Two

Banner By: solerdani

----------------------------------------

Chapter 2 

  ----------------------------------------  

I glanced across the office and watched as the two beautiful girls walked in from their break. I couldn't take my eyes off of the stunning brunette on the right. The way she smiles as she leans in and whispers something softly to her friend. I've had my eye on her for years now, since the first day she started working here, to be exact. I overheard her and her friends making jokes about poor old Barbra. She brought it upon herself though, honestly. Maybe if she wasn't so mean to everyone, then she'd be more likable.

I held the paper in my hand, the one that would play an essential part in what I hoped would be a master plan. This was the year I'd do something different, take a risk! I wasn't going to continue sitting there and watch the girl of my dreams talk about the awful dates she had gone on and about all the jerks that didn't appreciate how perfect she was. I wanted to finally gather the courage to take her out myself and show her how she deserved to be treated. She was always so sweet and polite to everyone. It was about time she received the same treatment for once.

Luckily, I had drawn Amber's name for Secret Santa. This was a perfect opportunity to execute my plan. I glance down at the piece of paper I had scribbled on last night. The words still made my heart flutter with excitement and nerves all at the same time. I wasn't sure how she would react when she read it. I look over the note one last time...

Your eyes are a green as a beautiful as a Christmas tree

Your hair as breathtaking as a fresh layer of snow on Christmas morning.

Your smile as warm as hot chocolate on the coldest day

Your presence is the perfect present,

My smile may never fade away.

-Your Secret Admirer

P.s. Let's say Santa, that sounds better this time of year.

I shook my head. I felt like such an idiot! Doing this kind of thing was not my style, and I was suddenly filled with doubt. Would she think I was creepy? A stalker even? Or would she like the notes and keep them forever?

I was nervously waiting for a good opportunity to sneak into Amber's cubicle and leave the note on her desk. That's when it was announced that we'd all be meeting in the center of the office for the Secret Santa drawing. It was finally Amber and her friend Miranda's turn to draw the names from the hat. I imagined how funny it would be if she too had drawn my name. I wondered what present she would get me if she did. I felt a small sense of jealousy for whoever's name was written carelessly on that tiny sheet of paper.

I jumped from my seat and sneaked my way through the other cubicles before I got to hers. I chuckle thinking back to an hour or so when Miranda was bashing her keyboard around like a mad woman. I remove the neatly folded note from my jacket and tuck it carefully underneath the abused keyboard. I then race back to my tiny office. My heart was beating as I watched her carefully, hoping she didn't notice me. I didn't want her to find out how I felt until I was ready to tell her. I had twelve days to change my mind, and I couldn't risk getting caught.

I watch closely as the two girls made their way back to their cubicles. Each one reading the names they had randomly chosen. My ears perked up when I heard Amber's beautiful voice call over to her friend.

"Psst, who did you get?" I heard her whisper before leaning over to look at Miranda's paper. I desperately tried to calm my breathing to hear their tiny whispers, trying not to draw attention to myself. I wanted to smack myself as Amber pulls away. I was so preoccupied that I didn't get to hear the name she had chosen!

I attempted to distract myself by typing away at my computer, although I had nothing left to do. I had finished all my work early, and skipped lunch to look over the note a few more times. I impatiently observed the seconds tick away on the wall clock, refreshing the browser on my computer a couple hundred times just waiting for new email to come through. I couldn't focus on anything other than the beautiful brunette sitting in the cubicle a few feet away from me.

She suddenly leans forward with a puzzled expression on her face. She must have seen the note! I immediately felt nauseous and jump out of my seat. Now would be a good time to back out. I realized that the pressure I was putting on myself was all too much and I couldn't risk this. What if she found out it was me before Christmas eve? What if after putting in all this effort she gets disappointed when she finds out I'm her secret admirer.

My heart was caught in my throat as she picks up the paper and inspects it carefully. She unfolds the paper while surveying the room. I quickly drew my attention back down at the keyboard and smirk as my eyes ran over the 't' button, almost letting out a chuckle.

I once again focus my attention to Amber as I notice her read the note. Her eyes gleam with a smile that was threatening to show through. She glances around the office a few more times. My heart palpitations began to stabilize as I took in a breath of relief. The first note had been delivered successfully. Her flawless smile was enough to get me through the remainder of my shift.

There was nothing I could do to think about anything other than Amber and her reaction. I wanted to talk to her so bad. I was desperate to know what she really thought about the note and the way I executed the plan.

I fumble over the same thoughts over and over again. I felt like kicking myself in the face and I probably would have if I was flexible enough. So I decided to put my mind to good use. Pulling out another sheet of paper and beginning to write another note.

Day 2,

One note is not enough for someone as beautiful as you,

So here I will write you two

Okay that was a little silly

But, Amber, you truly make me giddy.

I wanted to slap myself again. That was such a corny note. I studied the words on the paper trying to figure out a better way to put a smile on Amber's face.

Maybe I should avoid the forced rhymes. Oh well, let me try this again...

Day 2,

One note is not enough for someone as beautiful as you,

So here I will write you two,

But trust me there will be more

In a couple of days there will be four.

I chuckle to myself, earning a weird look from Barbara. I cower down in my cubicle and held the paper close to my chest. I was getting closer to something worth Amber's time, but it still needed more work. This was going to be a long night!