Fifteen

Banner By:

----------------------------------------

Chapter 15

---------------------------------------- 

I rushed into Target. I was late meeting Miranda there. I cursed myself as I realized this Christmas traffic has my times all messed up. I searched through the aisle searching for her black hair bouncing as she moved. I couldn't see her. I quickly pulled out my phone dialing her number. She answered on the third ring.

"Girl where are you?" Her happy voice screeched through the speaker forcing me to hold it slightly away from my face.

"Sorry i'm late, I just got here." I felt bad, this was the second time I had been late in the last few weeks. I felt like I needed to make it up to Miranda but I wasn't sure how. Maybe I would buy her some Starbucks on our way out.

"No worries. I'm over by the perfume." She was shouting something at someone on the other end of the phone. I tried to listen to make out the words as I headed towards the aisle she said she had been on. Miranda came flying around the corner of the shelves holding a small purple bottle in her hand. I pointed at the bottle of perfume.

"Is that what you are getting our boss?" She nodded her head quickly before spritzing it slightly in the air. I inhaled the deep aroma taking in the scent of lavender.

"That smells really good actually." Miranda nodded her head as she wrapped her arm around mine. She led me throughout the store dragging me through aisles picking up random objects before tossing them back on the shelf. I wasn't really sure what I was looking for and neither was Miranda.

I pulled her through some of the aisle since it was my turn to drag her around. I wanted to go back and look at the Christmas decorations. This year I didn't even have a tree and it didn't feel right. My mother had always made us put up a tree. Whether we got one from the store or we went out and cut down our own. I felt like I was somehow letting her down by not decorating my house.

"What are we doing back here?" Miranda looks through the now empty decorations. Most of them had been torn through and the good ones picked out. Stockings fell to the floor as the hooks had broken off of them. The material just needed a little tlc. I looked around not sure where to start.

"I feel like I've wasted this Christmas thus far. My mother would be devastated if she saw how I was celebrating. This year you will be leaving me to go to Europe for the holidays. I don't have anyone to really spend the holidays with. I'm going to just sit at home and watch hallmark movies while I listen to the kids next door scream with joy as they open their presents." I paused for a moment. I wanted to kick myself. I didn't mean to dive into the sob story that had become my holidays. I wanted to be happy like everyone else. I found myself going through the days just waiting for these tiny little papers to show up. I realized I hadn't yet told Miranda about them. Sure she was with me at the soup kitchen when I was handed the box and the tiny note.

"Well let's find you some decorations then." Miranda smiled pulling me into a hug. This was why she was my best friend. She was always so supportive and allowed me to vent when I needed to. We spent the next thirty or so minutes digging through boxes that had been scattered around, trying to find something cute I could use to decorate my house. We looked at christmas lights placing them in the small red basket balanced on Miranda's elbow. I explained to her the notes as we laughed and joked about how horrible some of the decorations looked.

"Wait so you are telling me you've been getting these notes for the last eight days and haven't said a single word." I shrugged my shoulders. I wasn't sure what she wanted me to say.

"Well yeah, I wasn't sure what was going on and didn't want to make something out of it that wasn't there." I shrugged digging through some more boxes of Christmas lights.

"I am so excited for the Christmas party now. I hope he comes forward and announces his love for you there. That would be so exciting!" She squealed as she grabbed a Santa hat off the shelf placing it on her head.

I smiled pulling out my phone to take a picture of her.

"That's blackmail for the next time you start to bug me." I teased her putting my phone back in my pocket. Miranda searched through a few more spots on the shelf before a handsome store clerk showed up.

"Is there anything I can help you guys find?" He questions us, his smile wider than any I have ever seen on a retail employee at this time of year. Miranda pushed herself in front of me sticking her hand out to shake his. He shot her an awkward look before placing his hand in hers.

"Well you could help me find a date tonight." She was smooth, so smooth that I wanted to gag as I watched her throw herself at the Target employee. He stuttered looking for a way to escape.

"I'm sorry, I work the closing shift tonight." He mumbled. I decided to intervene. Obviously he didn't want to go on a date with my psychotic friend and he shouldn't be forced to partake in this horrendous situation.

"She is a little drunk..." I glanced at her before pushing her back towards the decorations she had been rifling through. "Don't mind her, enjoy the rest of your shift and have a wonderful Christmas." I tried ushering him away as Miranda shouted interjections.

"That wasn't very nice." I waved her off as she folded her arms trying to make me feel bad. I pointed towards the directions as we both went back to work searching for all the right stuff. I searched through boxes of tiny Christmas trees, trying to find one cute enough I could decorate. When I stood back up my eyes caught something that wasn't there before. A tiny little paper sat delicately on top of some of the Christmas ornaments I hadn't noticed before. I quickly picked it up unfolding it before realizing what it was.

Day 8

I'm getting so excited at the idea of you holding my hand

The idea of you knowing who I am

I just want to tell you so bad

I want to spoil you so bad

I want you to know how I feel about you

That you are the most amazing thing in my world.

-Your Secret Santa