Six

Banner By solerdani

Banner By solerdani

     ---------------------------------------- 

Chapter 6

 ----------------------------------------

I sat staring at my phone, focusing on the little check mark that said Amber had read my message. Why wasn't she answering. I threw my head back in the chair rubbing both my temples. My phone lay in my lap useless. My heart dropped with thoughts of her just not having a care in the world for these notes that meant so much to me.

I opened my eyes watching the shadow of the flames dance against the ceiling of my fake fireplace I had bought last year to make me feel more at home. It really helped me save money on the heating when winter came around. I sat up staring at the fake flames feeling the urge to kick something.

What was a guy supposed to do, I was trying so hard to capture her attention and she was not interested...obviously. I read over the message once more.

Day 3

Your eyes are as blue as the sea

And Amber that's an ocean I would love to drown in.

Your smile warms me to the core

Like the embers of a fire burning all night long.

I could stare at it for the rest of my life

And I really hope you will give me the chance to stare at it for at least a night.

It was horrible! That's why she wasn't going to answer. What girl would like this garbage. I shook my head slamming my hand down on the table. I pulled another stationary out and begin writing the day.

Day 4

That's as far as I could get. My mind was blank, still stuck on the white screen with the single word that crushed my world. 'Read'. But did she actually read it or was it something to just deleted the notification. Had she gotten any of my other notes I left for her.

Day 4

I'm not sure how you do it.

You drive me crazy

You captivate everything single thought inside my head

Yet you don't even know my name

I stare at the paper... did that sound creepy?

I was starting to feel like the letters were getting worse, the closer we got to Christmas. This wasn't how I had planned this to go. They were supposed to get better, she was supposed to get more excited about these as time went on. I knew in my head I wasn't a poet and I should stop trying and cut my losses before I was drowning in them.

I was a hopeless romantic in a world that was too focused on texting and twitter... "THAT'S IT!" I never thought of it before but maybe that's why the last two notes didn't mean a thing. I sent them as text messages. They were simple little notification scattered in her phone surrounded by comments and likes on Instagram.

I shook my head wanting to bash it in with a shovel. How could I have been so stupid? I jumped from the chair I was lounging in realizing I had to do better. Glancing at the clock I realized it was a quarter past one in the morning . I better hurry if I was going to get something before the start of work tomorrow.

I rushed to my bathroom stripping my clothes off before jumping in the shower. I had no clue where I was going to go, or if anything was even open at this hour. I take that back, we live in New York, everything is open 24/7. I was scatterbrained as I tried to focus on the hot water running over my skin. I needed to calm down so I could focus on making tomorrow's note so much better for Amber. She was definitely going to smile once she read this one.

Day 4

I'm not sure how you do it.

You drive me crazy

You captivate everything single thought inside my head

Yet you don't even know my name

It needed something else. Something romantic to set it over the top. I closed my eyes letting the words really string themselves together in my head. I searched for any answer I could possible find.

Your a gift greater than any Christmas present.

That was it! That was the last line I needed. After washing away all of my disappointment, jumping out of the shower quickly getting dressed. I pulled my black jacket over my arms, zipping it up to wrap it around my body before trekking out into the snow. I cursed myself for not think about needing to do this earlier.

"Of course notes weren't going to be enough." I attacked myself under my breath, dropping bombs like it was World War III and I was both the enemy and the savior. I stumbled through the snow, my breathing growing heavy with every step I took. "Why wouldn't I had picked one up on my way home. Now I'm trying to get to the store at half past two in the morning." I couldn't help but feel down on myself.

I had always thought of myself as a romantic man growing up. I always told myself I was going to find a woman and spoil her and here I was thinking notes would do the trick. They needed more than that. I stumbled up to an intersection quickly stopping to look both ways before heading on in the direction to the store. Amber was worth so much more than some stupid notes scribbled on leftover stationary from last Christmas. I hadn't even written her that many notes, I'd gotten lazy just leaving text messages like that was important.

I pulled my phone out once more to check for a response. There was nothing, still just a read unanswered message. I tried to brush it off in hopes of a better tomorrow. I couldn't let her see my disappointment.

I was thankful once I reached the store as the air inside was much warmer than the brisk winter winds. I tapped my now soaked shoes off before heading to the floral section. I needed the most beautiful rose, something that would only come halfway to Amber's true beauty. I dug through the half dead flowers and the ones that hadn't quite yet bloomed before I found the perfect red rose. I smiled, she was going to like this.

After purchasing the flowers I began my trek back home to plan out more notes for Amber. But honestly I couldn't get over how excited I was to see the smile on her face tomorrow when I gave her the new note.

My heart jumped with joy as my feet hurried me home to tuck myself into bed.