Nineteen

My ankles killed as I made my journey home. Miranda tugged along behind me complaining about the blisters on her feet. I rolled my eyes with every new complaint she would say. I looked back at her wanting to complain about my very own throbbing pain growing on the back of my heel. I wasn't sure how long we have stayed and skated but it was longer than ever before. I would guess probably around two hours.

"Hey, my feet hurt too." I stopped for a moment wrapping my arm around hers helping her hobble her poor injured self the rest of the way to my apartment. She glared at me gratefully accepting my help. I watched the lights tinkle against the bright lights of New York, they were barely noticeable. The light pollution growing worse as we got closer to my place.

"Okay, but did you wreck?" Miranda snarked back rubbing her hip with her free hand. I chuckled remember how she looked like a baby giraffe trying to learn how to walk again. Miranda was trying to show off as she skated towards the outside of the rink. She lifted her foot not realizing there was a child behind her. The child swerved gracefully leaving Miranda fumbling before crashing against the ice.

"Don't be dramatic, you're just bitter that girl skates better than you." I teased her. We headed into my tall apartment complex, my heart hoping the elevator was open. Even if it was dangerous I wasn't really in the mood to walk up fourteen flights of stairs.

"Oh my god it's a Christmas miracle." I shouted realizing that the elevator was indeed in working condition. This was the first time in months this thing had moved. I shuffled faster to the now open the doors dragging Miranda behind me as she griped about the sudden speed change. "We have to hurry, I'm not sure how long this thing has." I was so excited I felt like I could cry. The thought of not having to walk up all those stairs was the best Christmas present I could ever receive.

I clicked my floor before turning to look at Miranda. She was leaning against the gold reflective walls, her body twisted like it was going to snap. I shook my head at how ridiculous she was being.

"Okay stop being so dramatic."

We waited patiently for the elevator to travel through the different floor. My brain cheered when the recognizable ding informed us that we had arrived to our destination. I grabbed at Miranda trying to help her into my apartment. We walked the long hallway, the dingy carpet making the place look darker than it actually was. All the windows were closed to lock out as much light as possible. A few lights flickered as they hung on the wall like a hotel hallway.

When we rounded the corner I nearly dropped Miranda. "What is that?" She questioned pulling her arm away from mine before walking over to the packages like she wasn't injured at all.

"Are you kidding me? This whole time you were just fine." I folded my arms over my chest ready to murder her for letting me drag her across town. She leaned forward grabbing the first bag. She pulled out a tiny box a little string falling from the side of it's bow. There was a tiny paper attached to the end of it. It was numbered. She placed it back in the bag before searching for the next one.

"Hey, who do you think left all of these here?" She questioned as she looked through the rest of the packages. I had an idea but wasn't sure since I had already received a note today. I reached for it in my pocket checking to make sure I still had it. After unlocking the apartment door I began pulling the bags inside. Miranda grabbed a few placing them on the floor next to the door. I took a few steps to the counter placing my new note with the others that sat scattered in a pile. I removed my jacket setting it next to the notes before heading back to the packages.

I picked up as many of the packages as I could carrying them to the living room placing them in the middle of the large run adjacent to the fire place. I flipped the switch turning the propane fireplace on, letting the fake flames roar to life as the heater began doing it's job. Miranda jumped from her seat grabbing the rest of the bags setting them beside me. We both took a seat on the floor going to work on digging all the packages out of their bags. It wasn't long before there was a pile of brown ripped up paper, all the gifts organized in order to the numbers on the little tags.

"Seriously who would have done something like this?" Miranda questions once again.

"It must be whoever has been leaving me those notes." Miranda glanced over to the kitchen counter before returning her gaze to the presents in front of us.

"Well let's get to opening them then so we can see what they are." One by one I grabbed the boxed pulling the lid off the box to find a slip of paper sat gently on top of whatever was inside. In the first box was the small Christmas tree I had looked at buying. "How do they know you were going to buy that?" Miranda pointed at the box. Her voice was shaky and honestly I was with her. It was a little creepy how whoever this was knew so much. It was hardly ten minutes later when all five gifts has been opened.

"So whoever it is, bought you literally everything you had in the basket at the store yesterday. They must have been there watching us. How would anyone be able to remember something like this." Miranda stood grabbing all the papers before placing them on the coffee table, she lined them up in the order they were supposed to go. "This is seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen, Amber come read this."

I shuffled over to the table sitting down next to her, my eyes taking in every single work on the tiny papers.

I know this isn't your first note today

This one was just for fun.

I just wanted to tell you how much you mean to me.

Every since I started working with you,

You've made me smile daily without realizing it

And I thank you for that.

You've put meaning back in my Holidays

I just want to spoil you,

Hopefully I can put meaning back in yours

I've never met a girl as genuine as you

Though you don't realize it

You truly are something special

I can't wait for the day that I get to hold you in my arms

I hope you give me the chance to

Even if it's just for one night

My life will be substantially better

I glanced at Miranda a smile working it's way across my face. I had no words as I've never been treated this way, but I felt like we should celebrate. My hands were shaky as I stood from the floor. My nerves were getting the best of me as it got closer to Christmas. I took careful steps to the kitchen trying to avoid the piles of wrapping paper. Grabbing a bottle of Champagne out of the fridge I grabbed two flute glasses pouring some for both of us.

"Does this mean I've truly made it in my life?" I beamed with joy as I held my glass in the air, toasting to this holiday season.