Ten

Banner By:  KaylaKeifer

----------------------------------------

Chapter 10

---------------------------------------- 

I tugged at the evergreen trees pulling them from the piles they lay in. The snow was falling gently around us as people scurried to find their last minute tree, many scared that if they bought them too soon they would die. My mother sat all bundled up in her fold-able chair with a cash register seated in front of her on the dingy plastic table. She was smiling as she thanked the customers, helping them make their purchases.

"Hey man, focus." My cousin shouted as he tried to hand me the stem of another tree. I reached forward taking the trunk in my grasp, tugging at it just enough for it to break free from the mess. I mumbled an apology as he dug for the next one. This was the worst part of Christmas.

My parents owned a Christmas tree farm, as they thought it would be a nice investment to keep a them grounded. They were worried that if they lived in the big city for too long they would end up wanting to become lawyers, with mundane jobs. Ironically, that was what I had done.

My father leads a client around showing them all the different kinds of trees we have. He had a smile on his face, tugging at him wrinkles showing his age. I wondered how much longer they would sell these trees. I knew personally they didn't make a killing on it, but they both loved it and it was a part of their Christmas traditions.

"Okay, that's enough for now." My cousin shouted from the back of the truck. He quickly jumped down slamming the tailgate on the old Chevy. "We, will save these until we sell out? a little bit." I nodded my head before heading over to grab myself a cup of hot chocolate. My parents always left a stand up for any passerby needing a little drink.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so glad you came to help us out." My mother smiled to me as she waved me over to sit next to her. I gladly did so. When I took my seat next to her she wrapped the blanket she was using around the both of us pulling me into a big hug. It warmed my heart knowing that I still have parents as happy as they were.

"I come and help you every year Ma," I smiled to her.

"I know, it's just always nice to see you."My mother's words made me smile as I took a sip of the hot chocolate. I should really spend more time with my parents, their love was endless and that's exactly what everyone needs this time of year. I quickly pulled out a card that I had stowed away in my pocket for safe keeping. I scribbled a couple of words on it before taking another sip of my drink.

Day 6

You warm my heart like a mother's love

Your smile as pretty as a white dove

I really need to stop trying to rhyme

It will save us both some time ;)

I shook my head. I felt like every note I wrote was getting worse and worse. I tried to think about what I truly wanted to tell Amber. To think about all the things that I wanted to share with her, and to cherish with her. I had remembered something I'd overheard from the two girls today at work, and it was something that Amber made sure to do every year around this time.

Amber would work her shift and then immediately after work she would walk down to the local soup kitchen and serve until she couldn't stand anymore. It was one of the first things that had ever drawn me to her, one of the reasons I'd noticed her three years ago. From what I knew, her mother would go with her until she passed away. My heart ached for Amber, she had nowhere to go around this time of year.

"What are you doing over there?" My mother leaned over, I quickly hid the note.

"Nothing, just writing down a Christmas list for you." I smiled trying to play it off. The less questions she asks the better; at least for right now.

"Oh don't be such a liar this close to Christmas. What are you really doing?" My attention was stolen by Christmas carolers strolling down the street singing loud for everyone to hear.

"I'm not lying mother." I knew she knew I was, she could see right through me. I wasn't sure why I had tried to hide it though. "Okay okay fine, but you can't tell anyone yet. I wanted it to be a secret in case it goes south."

"Spill."

"There's a girl at work I've liked for years, but she has never really noticed me. I know she has a hard time around this time of years as her parents passed away around the same time I noticed her. I've been leaving her notes everyday with the hopes of making her holidays a little better. On Christmas eve I was going to tell her who I was. I was also going to invite her to our Christmas party... if that was okay... I just, didn't know how to ask in case she says no." The words fell like word vomit. My mother's eyes were glowing as her hands shot straight to her face.

"I knew we raised such an amazing man." She beamed before reaching over and pinching my face. "Any girl that you are willing to put this much effort in, is always welcome in our household." I could honestly say I felt relieved after telling her, she really understood what I was trying to do. Possibly because she was a woman and that was something I'm sure she would love from my father. I glanced at the aging man talking to another customer and wondered what romantic things he did to win my mother over.

After a few moments I pulled the note back out to finish.