Chapter Seventeen: A Few Good Men

Start from the beginning

"No shit. Goodytwoshoes schoolteacher April and that depressed chick are coming with us? To a bar?"

I bridled at his use of "depressed," but only Mickey seemed to notice.

"Yeah, I know, man, I was shocked, too. But they're, uh...friends with Benny. Isn't that right, Ben?"

"Uh, yeah. They are. My friends, I mean," I stammered, taken aback by Mickey's use of a cute nickname. I knew he only called me "babygirl" in the utmost privacy, but I liked "Ben." It was cute and personal without being too gushy or sickening for other people. It was intimate.

Nic's eyebrows remained raised, but he didn't say anything more on the subject. Ross snuck a drink out of a flask from inside his jacket pocket, and Mickey brushed his hand down my back ever-so-lightly. I shivered.

           "Sorry, so sorry to keep everyone waiting! We're ready, we're here, we're ready!" April's high-pitched voice sang from the third-floor landing, and then she and Monica were stumbling down the stairs in the high heels I'd picked out for them. Now, I may not have known a lot about the art of seduction, but I did know how to look hot, and that's exactly what I'd done with the pair of them.

April's petite frame was elongated with some high-waisted jeans that hugged her body and gave the illusion of curves where there were none. The icy blue satin bodysuit she had on underneath pushed her small boobs up, with the aid of one of my push-up bras, and her hair hung in loose waves that contrasted beautifully with her blunt bangs. The blue in her shirt brought out the blue in her eyes, and her makeup was glowy and bright and made her look like an ice queen. Monica, on the other hand, had her naturally-long legs on display in a short black lace-up mini-skirt that I'd lent her, with thigh-high black boots bringing the right kind of attention to her thighs and oozing sex appeal. Her short black-and-purple hair was braided flat against her head in two messy cornrows, courtesy of me, which brought her hair out of her face for once and allowed her large grey-blue eyes to pop. The black mesh long-sleeved shirt she had on complimented her modest chest, and exposed the smallest sliver of her midriff.

"No worries, we just got down here!" I assured her, and Nic shot me an exasperated look.

"Are we ready to go now?"

The seven of us migrated from the foyer to the garage, and then finally out into the cool, crisp Los Angeles night. Darkness had settled on the city like a heavy blanket, but the streets were alight and alive. Mickey backed the SUV out of the garage, and the rest of us piled in. I sat up front with Mickey, who was driving, and Nic and his girl sat in the row behind us, leaving Ross, Monica, and April to pile into the very back together. First success! I peered in the rearview mirror to see if Ross and Monica were talking. They weren't.

"Uh, so who wants to listen to some music?" I said quickly to try to break the silence, punching the radio button and flipping the dial until Fall Out Boy came on. Peeking in the rearview mirror again, I saw Ross roll his eyes, and I swiftly turned the dial again.

The bumping bass of Kendrick Lamar came flooding out of the speakers, much to Ross's delight. Mickey shot me a confused look, turning up the volume until the bass shook the car as we sped down the freeway. Luckily, he didn't comment on my music choice, and we listened to Ross and Nic rap along to "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" until we got to the bar.

"You guys go ahead and get out, I'll go park the SUV," Mickey said as he rolled to a graceful stop in front of the entrance to the bar. It had started to drizzle while we were driving, and he knew we wouldn't want to ruin our hair walking in the rain. Leaning over to kiss him quickly on the cheek, I slid out of the car and led the way into the bar. As soon as we walked in, the crowd let out a loud cheer, and Max's blonde head turned to the door.