Chapter Thirteen: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me

"Okay, so explain it to me then. I think my guess was pretty accurate, because we already knew that he took families hostage and then lived with them before killing them. And that that guy from the beginning was a family therapist, so couldn't you see the connection? He was obviously a family annihilator," I explained to Mickey from my seat at the kitchen table. It was Wednesday morning, and strangely enough we had the kitchen to ourselves. Not even a single voice had passed by the kitchen doors since we'd come down at 9:30 am, which was very unusual, given that the women in our pack dominated the kitchen at all hours of the day.

"Yeah, but at that point we didn't yet know that he'd been abused by his own father, so how could you jump to the conclusion that he was a family annihilator? I still think they should've connected all eight murders sooner than they did. I mean, come on -- eight families killed in the same town within a year?" Mickey countered, dishing out the scrambled eggs and bacon that he'd just made for us onto two plates and then dumping all of the pans in the sink before carrying the food over to where I was seated. I rolled my eyes, finishing off my second cup of coffee and starting to dig into my eggs even as we continued to talk about the most recent episode of Criminal Minds. We'd made the mistake of watching an episode early that morning, instead of in the dark hours of night like we usually did, so now we had plenty of time to overanalyze every aspect of the show over breakfast.

          Eventually we moved onto talking about my classes, and I explained my entire conspiracy theory about Callie and the other med students stealing medical supplies from the clinic. Mickey offered his own input, although he hadn't witnessed Callie's violence the way I had, so my rationale was leaning more towards them operating a Black Market organ transplant business, while Mickey seemed to think they were just selling the stuff for some extra cash.

"So...how long are you gonna be gone this time?" I eventually asked as our conversation petered out. Our plates had long been cleaned, our leftover coffee cold as ice, and I had class in less than half an hour. The conversation couldn't be avoided. Mickey met my gaze, his eyes heavy, and I felt a sharp twinge of guilt. Whenever we talked about his career, he always got sad instead of excited, like he should be, and it made me feel like crap. I knew leaving me was the only reason he resented being on the Lakers, and I hated myself for it. I didn't want to be the one who tarnished his dream.

"Um, three days, I think. Our flight to Las Vegas is tomorrow at noon, and then we come back Sunday afternoon. But, hey, it's not that long. And after that I'm home for like a whole week and a half. And I plan on spending every minute with you." Mickey curled his fingers around my wrist as I propped my elbow up on the table to lean my chin in my palm. Tugging gently, he pulled me until I had gotten out of my seat and climbed onto his lap. I curled up against his firm chest, humming with satisfaction when his warm, strong arms wrapped around me and just held me to him.

"You know what I think you should do now?" he said, his voice lighter than before, teasing.

"Hmm?"

"You should kiss me."

I pulled my head back, craning it up to look at him as he smirked down at me.

"Oh yeah?"

"Mm-hmm." Mickey was full-on grinning now, and I couldn't help the smile that pulled at the corners of my mouth as well.

"And why is that?"

"Because if you don't, I will, and I find it incredibly hot when you make the first move."

I didn't need to hear anymore. I reached up, grabbed two fistfuls of Mickey's wavy brown hair, and pulled his lips down to meet mine.

***                                                  ***                                                  ***