Chapter Sixteen: I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime

**April, played by Zooey Deschanel, above!!**

         "I feel like we definitely spend a disproportionate amount of time in bed," Mickey laughed, the motion sending vibrations through my torso from where he lay with his chin propped up on my stomach. It was Monday morning, and I had elected to skip all of my classes in favor of spending the whole day with Mickey. He'd promised we could do whatever I wanted as a "honeymoon" of sorts. But even though I was elated to finally be married to Mickey, I couldn't shake the pesky worries that had plagued me ever since my session with Dr. Turner.

She'd congratulated me on the marriage, of course, but then had left me with a warning not to throw myself too far into Mickey without making any progress on myself and my own life. She'd said she was concerned by my lack of progress with the pack or any kids in school, and that if I didn't start making some real friends, I was going to bring trouble upon my relationship with Mickey down the line. I was certain she was right, but none of my potential friendships seemed like they would be working out anytime soon. Ashton, Ace, Joey, Ella, and Teyana had proven that they were much too cool to hang out with me. Monica was weird. Jenna was preoccupied with her own family and raising her daughter. Sam and I weren't even speaking. Shane could only talk to me in secret at school.

Ross!

"Benny?"

"Huh?" I looked down just as Mickey turned on my stomach, his soft hair gliding over my bare skin like the brush of a feather. Piercing beams of sunlight poked through the windows behind us, illuminating the red and blonde streaks that lurked, hidden, in Mickey's brown waves. His eyes were bright blue today, but filled with worry as they stared up at me.

"What's going on? You've been preoccupied ever since we got up."

"It's nothing," I shrugged him off, both metaphorically and literally. Sitting all the way up in bed, I turned my back to Mickey and threw my legs over the mattress. I wasn't going to let my own spiraling thoughts ruin this day. Our day.

I could tell he was on the verge of protesting, so I quickly threw down the sheet that had been wrapped around me and held my hand out for him to take.

"Make me breakfast?"

"Only after you put some clothes on," Mickey laughed, rolling off the bed himself and grabbing me around the waist to carry me to the closet.

          After throwing on some lazy clothes, Mickey and I meandered down the grand staircase, marveling in the stark silence. Mickey had ordered everyone to clear out of the McMansion for the day to give us some privacy, and I had never felt so regal in my entire life. Every inch of the house glittered and shone like it was buzzing with a vibrant energy. I'd never quite noticed its intricate and quiet beauty in all its many aspects before, so Mickey and I spent a good deal of time just walking circles around the house, whispering and pointing little details out to each other in awe. The silence wrapped around us like a large, fluffy blanket, stroking down my anxieties and worries about the day. We hadn't had quiet like this to ourselves since we'd lived in Virginia. Maybe not even then.

        Eventually, we ended up back in the kitchen, and in perfect synchrony I started brewing us a pot of coffee while Mickey took out eggs and bacon and waffle mix and began cooking breakfast. I wasn't much of a breakfast eater, at least not until I'd had my coffee, so I perched on the island with my mug and watched him work. Soon, the peaceful silence was too much even for me, and I decided it was best to get my concerns out now, before we started our first day as husband and wife.

"Mickey?" My voice echoed like a gunshot in the quiet kitchen, and I swear I saw Mickey jump slightly.

"Yeah?" He turned, spatula still in hand.