Chapter Seventeen: A Few Good Men

With my and Mickey's complicated schedules, I wasn't able to enact phase one of my plan until Thursday evening. We had just finished dinner, in which Mickey had made a few announcements about pack rules and loyalty and some other stuff that didn't much interest me, and now the two of us were upstairs getting ready to go out.

"So wait, just tell me one more time, so that I've got it right. We're going out to the bar where Max works with Nic and his girl of the week. And we're bringing Ross...April...and Monica. Is that right?"

"Mhmm."

"I'm sorry, why are we bringing them again?" Mickey asked as he pulled on a dark grey v-neck shirt that clung to his muscles in all the right places. I had to stop myself from purring at him, or I knew he'd ruin the plan before it had even started.

I stepped into my black velvet dress, wiggling from side to side to shimmy the form-fitting fabric up the length of my body.

"Because, I'm trying to help April talk to Max, and Monica talk to Ross."

"So this is like...a group date or something?"

Smack. I got the straps in place and turned to roll my eyes at my husband.

"No, not like a group date. Just a group of friends going out to a bar on a Thursday night. That's all."

"And who made you Ms. Matchmaker?" Mickey asked playfully, stepping over the piles of rejected clothes at my feet to grab my waist and pull me against his chest.

"You look really hot, by the way," he leaned in to whisper in my ear, and I laughed softly.

"Thank you. So do you."

Mickey looked good enough to eat in his dark jeans, tight shirt, and brown leather jacket to ward off the evening chill. His hair was messier than usual, and the grey in his t-shirt brought out the grey in his eyes, almost making them glow.

"Come on, I bet we're keeping everyone waiting," I said finally, pushing back against his chest and grabbing my black heeled booties. When I exited the closet, Mickey followed closely behind me, running his hands over my velvet-covered ass and groaning.

"I'm happy that you're branching out and making friends, babygirl, but couldn't you do it from the comfort of our bed? Maybe naked, possibly with me beside you?"

I just laughed.

"Or inside you," Mickey breathed down my neck, and a shiver shot down my spine even as I grabbed my purse and checked my makeup in the mirror one last time.

"Shut up," I retorted playfully, snagging Mickey's hand in mine and dragging him behind me, out of our bedroom, and down the stairs. He pretended to pout for a second, but brightened right up when Nic appeared in the foyer, arm wrapped around a petite redhead.

"Hey bro, this is Cindy. Cindy, this is my man Mickey, and his girl Benny," Nic introduced us, and luckily we were spared any awkward small talk with his fuck-buddy when Ross staggered down the hall towards us.

"What, d'you start without us, man?" Mickey exclaimed, and the guys laughed. I didn't find Ross's intoxication quite as funny. He'd been drinking a lot lately, even more than he had when he was on my personal guard detail. I made a mental note to bring it up with Mickey the next time we were alone.

"So who else are we waiting for? Let's get going!"

"Um, April and Monica are joining us. They should be down any minute," I cut in, halting Nic in his path to the door. He stopped in his tracks, a laugh bubbling out of him seemingly before he could stop it.