Chapter Fourteen: My Brother's Keeper

**Jesse Williams as Kohl Chambers above!!^^**

         Mickey and I shot each other one last nervous look before we pushed through the swinging doors and into the kitchen where Kohl was waiting. We'd showered and thrown on the least-sexy clothes we could find, and sprayed a lot of perfume and cologne around us to make sure the smell of sex didn't linger. It had been almost two years since I had seen Kohl; he was the older of my two brothers, five years older than me, and had gone off to college at Yale at the exact time that Sabrina had been murdered. Needless to say, I'd harbored a lot of resentment and anger towards him for leaving me right after Sabrina had, so we hadn't stayed very close over the years. Besides, Kohl could not be more different than me; he was very quiet and serious, intelligent in a way that made you feel smaller just after one conversation. He despised loud noise and music blasting throughout the house, and only listened to classical music by famous artists. Kohl was a vegetarian, and ate very healthily, following to a strict diet and going to the gym twice a day. Our only shared interest was basketball, which he'd given up after a knee injury in his sophomore year had ended his basketball career at Yale and for the rest of his life. Kohl had gone on to attend Harvard Law school, and had just moved to Chicago to work for a civil rights law firm. We hadn't seen each other since Christmas when I was a sophomore at UVA, and back then he'd been engaged to some girl he'd met at Harvard.

       "Kohl...it's so nice to see you," I said with forced-enthusiasm, taking long strides over to where he was rising out of his seat awkwardly to greet me. We were siblings, and we loved each other, but we had never been close, so we just kind of awkwardly touched our arms to each other's backs and then jumped apart. He and Mickey shook hands, and then the three of us settled down at the kitchen table. Kohl seemed to be studying Mickey and me, so I took the time to take in his appearance as well. Kohl, like our other brother, had always had brilliant blue eyes that stood in stark contrast to the rest of his features and made him look "exotic." He was still fairly tall, just a couple inches shorter than Mickey, with caramel skin a shade lighter than mine and a smattering of freckles sprinkled across his nose and cheeks. He had his hair shorter now than when I'd last seen him, cut to a dark shaven style that looked much better on him, and his chest and arms seemed more muscular and defined as well. He'd grown a stubbly beard and mustache since I'd last seen him, too. Apart from that, not much about him had changed except his demeanor; where he used to always seem calm and collected, he now exuded anger and a sharp bitterness that had his eyes narrowed at the two of us and his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yeah it's great to see you too, Benny...it's been a while." He was still glaring at Mickey, and the awkwardness was so thick that I felt my cheeks flame up. Why the fuck is Kohl here?

"So, um...what brings you out for a visit? I didn't even know you knew this address."

"Mom gave it to me. She was saying how much she missed you now that you'd moved across the country with your new boyfriend whom she'd only met once and Christian and I had never met. Dad, too. They said they barely hear from you once a month now." His tone was accusatory, and his glare was still trained on Mickey, so I tried to defend myself.

"I call them like once every two weeks. I'm busy, you know. Med school and all that."

"Oh yeah, how's that going? You still planning on being a doctor or are you content to be this guy's housewife for the rest of your life?"

"Kohl!" Now my entire face was beat red, and I didn't dare look at Mickey.

"What? I come here expecting to find--"

"Expecting to find what? Why did you even come?"

"I came because our family is worried about you, me included. And unlike Christian or Mom or Dad, I have the ability to be flexible with my job, and the firm agreed to let me work from LA for a while."