Chapter Five: True Lies

Benny's POV

              I had just finished my last class of the day, a grueling anatomy exploration lab, when I received the text from Mickey. We hadn't talked any more about the funeral or about Sam, but upon checking my email I'd discovered the concise notification of Sabrina's dad's death from her mom, addressed to me and Sam and requesting that we attend the funeral that Sunday. I still hadn't decided if I was going or not.

Mickey: I'm in the parking lot. We're going out.

I typed my response quickly as I pushed through the glass double-doors of the Biology building and headed across the grassy quad in the direction of the nearby parking lot.

Benny: Oh really? How do you know I don't already have plans?

I could practically feel his jealousy through the screen.

Mickey: Who do you have plans with?!

I didn't respond, catching sight of Mickey leaning against the driver's door of his white Jeep Wrangler as I stepped off the curb. The instant his eyes landed on me, he was jogging towards me, and I pretended to be unphased, scrolling through some other messages on my phone. Mickey's hands wrapped around my upper arms with more force than I'd been expecting, and I squealed and almost dropped my phone when he lifted me in the air and swung me around once before carrying me back to the car.

"Hey, let go of me! Put me down, Mickey!" I beat my fists against his back, but he didn't let up until he dropped me into the passenger's seat and closed the door. Scowling, I quickly buckled my seatbelt and turned on the radio.

"You never answered my question," Mickey growled when he was settled behind the wheel, and we took off down the road. I rolled down my window to let the warm wind kiss my cheeks and whip through my hair, and I closed my eyes to enjoy it.

"Of course I don't have other plans, you idiot. I don't even know anybody in this town except for you and the pack. And they're not exactly banging down my door to hang out," I added the last part in a quiet grumble, opening my eyes and squinting out the window like a moody teenager. Of course, Mickey still heard it, and he shot me a look but didn't respond.

"I've missed you," he said finally, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel with his left hand so he could reach over and take my hand with his other hand. I wasn't done being annoyed with him, though.

"Wanna tell me where you're taking me?" I shot back, turning to glare at him. The wind whipped my hair into my face, however, and it ruined the effect of my scowl. Mickey started to laugh, and a smile broke through my annoyance despite my efforts.

"Well, Nic's birthday is this weekend, and a couple of the girls thought it would fun to throw him a party. So we're going to buy party supplies."

"At 12:15 in the middle of the day on a Thursday?"

"When would you rather do it?" Mickey smiled, and I could tell he was amused by my poor attitude. I scowled again, yanking my hand out of his and shifting my position so I was turned as much to the window as was physically possible.

               I wasn't really annoyed at Mickey; I'd been going back and forth with myself about Sabrina's dad's funeral, and her mom's email, and the prospect of going and seeing Sam and everything. On the one hand, Sabrina's mom had sounded genuine in asking us to attend the funeral. She hadn't exactly apologized, but she had invited us personally, which was something. On the other hand, the last time Sam and I had spoken to Mrs. McCarty, she had blamed us for her daughter's death and told us she would never be able to forgive us. Then she and Mr. McCarty had moved to Seattle and we hadn't had any contact with them since.