20 | είκοσι

20 | είκοσι

a/n: pronounced: am-fee-try-tee

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

WHAT WAS WRONG with me? Lately it had just been mistake upon mistake. Now I was facing off with the Queen of the Ocean. Wife of Poseidon, Amphitrite. I had disrespected her, you see. I was in her territory, clasping her amulet between my fingers.

Her glowing hazel eyes were staring at me so intently, that I was almost certain she could see into my soul. What would she do when she found out who I was? She'd probably turn me in to her husband. Poseidon.

'You're not a mermaid, are you? In fact... I don't think you're a sea creature at all.' She was onto me. Her once angry and vengeful demeanor had taken a turn for curious as she glared at me. I nodded my head, indicating that she was right. She knew the truth. I knew that I couldn't run. She basically controlled the water she'd probably turn the current against me or something more drastic.

There was a spark in her face, she was impressed with her investigative skills. 'Which makes you a land-dwelling creature, but our river prohibits all land-dwelling creatures from entrance... all except – a human.' She was now trailing closer and closer to me, eyes darkening in amusement. 'Strong... dark magic... I'm afraid you have garnered my interest. Now what would a mortal like you want with my amulet?' She asked suspiciously.

I didn't know what to say. I had to lie or she'd hand me in. It was the only way. But lie and say what?

I decided to remain quiet, choosing not to entertain her. I was running out of time, very soon I'd be swimming up the river with my legs. I was in too deep to get to the top on time.

She chuckled, though I knew she wasn't laughing because she found anything funny. 'I don't want to cause any trouble, I just need this amulet.' I finally addressed her, not wanting to step on any toes.

'Unfortunately that amulet is very important to me.' She answered, holding her hand out for its return to her. My grip on it tightened. I was not going back onto the shore without that amulet in my fingers. So she'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

'Please, your majesty. I need this amulet. My name is Ariel, and – ' my begging had been cut short when she lifted her palm into my face, motioning for me to stop talking.

'Ariel? You're the fated love of Ares, aren't you? The one destined to bring about the doom of my husband?' I froze. I didn't know she'd be familiar with my name. Her face had contorted to one of amusement, a smirk tugging at her lips. 'Go.' She motioned for me to leave and my rapidly beating heart stop dead in its tracked. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. 'Wait, what?' I asked and she shrugged. 'Go before I change my mind, mortal.' She crossed her arms over her chest. 'You're letting me go? This doesn't make sense, why?' I asked.

She chuckled bitterly. 'Listen and listen good.' She said, her expression suddenly growing more serious. 'I'm letting you go because I want you to drive an arrow through that arrogant bastard Zeus' heart, do you hear me?' She shrieked and I nodded in understanding. 'Now leave before my husband senses your presence.' I took that as my signal to swim away. 'Thank you.' I murmured, swimming at lightning speed.

I started to feel it, my gills were weakening, and it was getting harder and harder to breathe. My legs were beginning to feel lighter. I can do this. My feet were now beginning to show, it was getting harder to breathe. I can do this. I was swimming with my feet now, flapping them in the water just how they had taught me at swimming school, my arms were pushing harder, still clutching the amulet.

It was getting harder to move for I was now holding my breath, and my legs were on the verge of giving out. The water was black, it was obviously much too late at night now. Apollo was probably worried.

I was getting dizzy, my eyes were getting heavy. Just a little further, Ariel. The enchantment had worn off, and it was now just little old me swimming for dear life. I could make it. I knew I could.

Just a little long, I was in the right place now, all I needed to do was swim to the surface. I swam upwards. It really was a deep river. Upwards upwards, just keep swimming. I chanted in my head until finally, I could see the grass, I gripped onto the edge, exploding into loud coughs. The surface! I made it. I was still coughing, only now getting accustomed to the fresh oxygen. Oh how I missed the fresh oxygen.

"Apollo!" I was so excited to tell him who I'd met on my journey. "Apollo, you'll never guess – " I had hopped out if the water, shrugging my jeans onto my bare lower half. My wet hair was cascading down my sides, but I didn't care. The amulet was still safely tucked in my hand.

It was dark, and the only thing I could see for miles was the cold silhouettes of the trees and the rocks. "Apollo?" There was no reply, only a breeze which had my teeth chattering. How could I have so stupidly disposed of my sweater? Now I was traipsing around in nothing but my jeans and a white bra. "Ares?" I was getting worried now, stumbling on a rock.

It was only a five minute walk later that I finally ran into Apollo. His lips were pursed into a thin line, he ran a hand through his platinum coloured hair.

I tapped his shoulder, hoping he'd recognize me. "I – Apollo, what's wrong?" He didn't say anything, instead his face crumbled, bursting at the seems.

"I have the amulet. I got it, we can – "

"She's gone." Another voice snapped my eyes off of Apollo and into the distance. Even in the darkness, I could still make out his golden-brown eyes as he ran a hand through his tousled red locks.

His body was trembling with anger, yet his face was littered with worry. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, discarding his words. "What's going on? I got the amulet, isn't that a good thing?" Ares eyes roamed my body and he licked his lips. He was a mess, seemed like he was on the verge of tears, reminiscent of the time in The Underworld when he opened up to me. I wanted to drop everything and wrap my arms around him. To comfort him.

"They took her." He said, pacing about the patch of land we were stood on.

"They took Eris."