15 | δεκαπέντε

15 | δεκαπέντε

▂▂▂▂➷▂▂▂▂

MAY I HAVE a word with the girl before your departure?" Hades had just sashayed into the room in his daunting, god of the land of the dead walk. His grey eyes had been focused on me since he entered, and I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable.

I chanced a glance at Ares, hoping he'd help me out of this uncomfortable predicament. He nodded towards Hades, motioning for me to go.

I sighed, trudging across the room, glancing at everybody I was leaving behind, hoping they'd help me out of this. Eris merely grinned cheekily at me while Apollo's blue eyes focused on Hades, jaw clenching in annoyance.

I was on my own, it seemed, following after Hades, who had his gloved hand on the doorknob in the other room, anxiously awaiting my entrance. Taking a deep breath, I did as expected and trudged into the room. Hades closed the door behind me.

It was a dark room. I assumed it was his office or something because there was a large marble desk in the very middle with a black chair, heavily resembling a throne. Hades was observing me so thoroughly that I was starting to think I had something on my face.

"Please... sit." He motioned at his throne-chair but I stayed rooted to the ground, not wanting to spend anymore time than I had to with him.

"I have a feeling you don't like me very much, Ariel. Why is that?" His eyes were twinkling curiously underneath his office light, a smirk tugging at his lips.

I cleared my throat, I would rather have died than confess how very terrified of him I was. "I would like to know why you've summoned me..." I changed the subject. He seemed to respect my decision and traipsed towards his desk, sliding the very last drawer open. Now when he headed towards me there was something in his hands. A sort of long, golden necklace. "You may not know this, Ariel, but you're the key to fixing everything." Placing the necklace in my hands, Hades sighed.

"Do you know what that is?" He asked as I examined the strange object. There was something round, golden at the bottom, a lateral and longitudinal line overlapping in the middle, caging a smaller, marble stone. I shook my head, "no idea."

Hades' eyebrow arched up judge-mentally. His face was unreadable as he sat down, elbows against the table as his face leaned against his hands. "I created it myself, actually. It's for you. I call it the lacus fabrica." My eyes darted to his just as the words left his lips, I was speechless. For me? Why would he make anything for me?

"What is it?" I asked curiously, my eyes glued to the stone. "Something that will take you wherever you need to go." He explained. "I made that so you can get all of those objects easily. Just tug onto the lateral line three times and it will transport you to the places where the objects are hidden. The rest is on you guys." He shrugged nonchalantly, silver eyes expressionless and bored.

"Why would you do this for me?" I asked curiously, placing the necklace over my neck and tying it in the back. "It is more efficient for a mortal to use, and if you must know... I'm not doing any of this for you." He sneered suddenly, like he was irritated with my all my questions. There was a moment of silence until I finally realised what he meant. "You're doing all this for Ares..." I murmured. "You really are quite bright." He drawled sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "I worry for him sometimes." Hades got up from his seat.

"You know Ariel, when everybody is constantly telling you that you're the bad guy, even of your own story... you start to believe it, until finally it consumes you and leaves you as only a shell of what you used to be. Ares is not a bad guy. He's just lost his way. And you're going to help him find it."