Chapter 5

This time, Shayne woke up before everyone else, his wounds hurting. He reached his hand up to the one on his stomach and lifted the shirt. He furrowed his brows in surprise. Coming from under his skin were black veins traveling over his body. The trumpets rang out and Ian and Tanner woke up immediately. Following them were Damien, Flitz, and Joven. In a few seconds, everyone was up and moving.

"Don't tell me you had a vision too," Ian sighed, looking over to Shayne.

"No, it's not that," Shayne muttered.

"Then what is it? What woke you," Tanner questioned.

"My wounds. They hurt," Shayne stated monotoned.

"Well, that happens when you're wounded. Maybe it would be easier if you didn't train today," Tanner mentioned, walking over to him.

"No no, I can train," Shayne mentioned, lowering his shirt. He began to get up when his cut started hurting again. Tanner helped him back down to his mattress and sat down with him.

"How bad is the pain," Tanner questioned.

"I'm fine, really," Shayne said, trying to stand up. His cut kept hurting him so he sat back down.

"Are you sure? Let me look at it," Tanner mentioned. Shayne looked at Tanner, hesitating. Shayne sighed and gave in, lifting his shirt to show Tanner. Tanner saw the black veins and his eyes widened. He stood up and said, "Yeah, you really shouldn't train today."

"What's wrong," Shayne mentioned, trying to stand up, and eventually does.

"I don't know the full story, but Joseph does. Hold on," Tanner said, leaving to get Joseph.

"Everything okay Shayne," Flitz asked, walking over to him.

"I don't know. Whatever Wesley did last night to me, I don't think it was good," Shayne explained.

"It wasn't me, it was Xorgorath," Wesley growled, walking over to them too.

"Potato potato," Shayne added. Tanner came back with Joseph, telling Shayne to show the cut again. Shayne sighed and raised his shirt once more.

"Oh damn, what's happening to you," Flitz asked.

"Shayne was poisoned, by what I think was the Black-Weed Vine. I've heard it's deadly," Joseph mentioned.

"I'm going to die," Shayne asked.

"No, you're not. I didn't use the Black-Weed Vine, I covered the blade in the juice from the Wild Rose Birch Tree, which was supposedly planted by the devil," Wesley added.

"I've never even heard of that," Joseph mentioned.

"That's because you never had a bad reaction to the elixir. When the elixir chooses you for the dark side, a rose grows on the tree, but when you're made to have that kind of reaction a rose grows from the rose that belongs to the person who turned you. The demon inside of me, Xorgorath, collected the juice of the tree like someone collects maple syrup from trees. The juice, when interacting with human blood, can make them inherently more evil and they'll naturally have a bad reaction when they first drink the elixir. Shayne, you're the first person to experience this. Xorgorath wants you because now that you're affected, you have a link to the devil, to be his host," Wesley explained.

"Host? You're saying the devil- satan- is a spirit that needs a host body, and the demon in your body wants it to be me," Shayne thought. Wesley hesitated.

"I'm sorry," he said, looking down.

"I have an idea, but it's probably a bad one," Ian sighed.